Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Just a quick question about dosulepin; Ive been taking it

Just a quick question about dosulepin; I've been taking it at 150mg at night for about 20 years to treat ongoing depressive episodes. I've heard that it be damaging to the heart at higher dosage - is this classified as a higher dose? I'd really like to come off it and fly 'solo' as it were but it wasn't good last time- i had a really unpleasant bout. My GP says it obviously 'doesn't suit you to come off it' and just recommended that I go back to 150mg. I've tried several ssri's as alternatives, but the side effects from these are difficult to cope with, and lead a reasonable life. Any thoughts on where to go from here would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Steve
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

150mg is normal dose. 300 is high. It is a tricyclic. Most patients who used to use are on SSRI's now, but your dose is OK

Customer:

So what would your advice be to enable me to come off them?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Steve- dose is fine. Just a drug that is not used in US. IF you want to try SSRI, talk to doctor about transition. I just saw you had poor reaction to SSRI's - sorry I missed that initially. I don't see any harm on staying on the current medication. It is mostly and individual tolerence to certain class of medication, and if tricyclic is better for you, I would stick with it. In my experience, alarming stories on internet are much more frequent than in actual practice. Given that you are at lowest recommended dose, not a high dose, I would not worry about getting off of it or changing medications.

Customer:

Thanks for your reassurance, much appreciated!

Customer:

Thanks for your reassurance,