TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Do you know where I can find a Health Psychologist or a holistic

Customer Question

Do you know where I can find a Health Psychologist or a holistic dr. so I can get some info on whether I need psych drugs or herbals. I've been taken st. john's wort/kava kava for almost a month and I feel about as good as I did on on the SSRI's I took years ago. But I've been advised to be under a Dr.'s care in addition to the herbalists I've talked to. Most regular Pysch dr.'s don't know anything about herbs so they'll keep you on psych drugs but if herbals work I can either get off psych drugs or take a cheaper lower dosage one. My counselor said either find a Dr. of osteopathy, holistic dr., or a health psychologist because they have knowledge of both. I was also curious about what this new risperdal consta is and how much it costs without insurance and if the federal prescription drug card or value options covers it. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

You can find a health psychologist at the American Psychological Association website at:

http://www.apa.org/

Here is a link describing what a health psychologist does:

http://psychology.about.com/od/psychologycareerprofiles/p/health-psychologist.htm

Here is a link to help you find a holistic doctor:

http://www.holisticmedicine.org/

It is becoming more common that people use holistic medicines to help themselves feel better. They can be effective in alleviating some symptoms. But doctors, for the most part, are still trained mostly in psychiatric medications and therefore they feel more comfortable with what they know.

Here are some supplements you may be able to try that your doctor will be familiar with. This regime is known to be a mood stabilizer. Make sure you ask your doctor about this before you take them:

1000 mg of Omega 3, 10 mg Zinc, 100 mg Magnesium glycinate and 100 mg calcium.

Risperdal Consta is a newer medication that helps stabilize mood in patients diagnosed with Bipolar I. I am not sure how much it costs or if your insurance covers it. You may want to contact your insurance provider for that information. Here is a link to the company's website to explain the medication further:

http://www.risperdalconsta.com/

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the links. I never heard of these doctors till the last few weeks. I didn't realize how much was out there. But these herbs go back centuries. So much for the myth of modern medicine. I'm sure they help but they can be lethal because they cause more symptoms that what you started with, can cause cognitive malfunctions, and even liver damage if taken in high doses. And doctors seem content to put you on 3-5 meds at one time. High doses and multiple medicines can cause episodes too I read. I think even if there was a "cure" they wouldn't tell you. With the herbal tobacco I feel like I've been set free from regular pipe tobacco and less likely to get cancer.
Thanks,
Erwin

You are welcome! It is always good to search for what you feel works best for you. And I agree, modern day medication can have more bad effects than helpful good ones. The health psychologist should have some good suggestions for you.

Kate