AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.

I experience obssesive thinking, not much of the compulsive

I experience obssesive thinking, not much of the compulsive part. Right now I take 175 mil a day of clomipramine. I take 100 mil of lamictal. Right now I do experience negative thoughts and there are some things I obsess about. I have a consistent motivation problem. I sleep alot. Do you think the clomipramine is not really working or is the lamictal the cause of the negative thoughts?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 2 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let me see if I can help here....

AgapeDoc :

It is my goal to answer your question and exceed your expectations. If you are satisfied with my efforts will you click on the green accept button?

AgapeDoc :

OK... Let's get started....

AgapeDoc :

........ You are doing the right thing to take charge of your treatment.

Customer:

yes

AgapeDoc :

However....

AgapeDoc :

Now as for your question... Wow, it's difficult to say for sure as meds react somewhat differently on each patient. It's possible that the mixture is working as well as possible in your situation since the obsessions have not led to compulsive behavior as you pointed out.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX want to concentrate on the medication part of this and seek other opinions

AgapeDoc :

... I can hear you loud and clear that you would like to have the negative thoughts and obsessions under control a little better...

AgapeDoc :

.. I have to wonder what your doctor has to say about this. Have you brought it up to him/her? And is it a psychiatrist you are getting the prescriptions from?

Customer:

yes, a med nurse prescribes my medication. I just a few weeks ago dropped to these doses. She okayed it.

AgapeDoc :

Also are you seeing a therapist?

AgapeDoc :

Good - that is very important. You wouldn't believe how many people do things with meds on their own :(

Customer:

I am taking a break from that. I had for the past two years

AgapeDoc :

Ok.... a couple of things.....It's not easy to "figure this out" online. I would submit that just about the only way to know for sure if the meds are doing what you want is to ask the med nurse to make adjustments according to her/his expertise and see if the changes produce better or worse results.

AgapeDoc :

Next, I understand the break from therapy.... except I would offer that you consider seeing a therapist who practices "Solution Focused Therapy". I say this because this may help with the motivation issue...

Customer:

is there maybe an ocd alternative med other than clomipramine?

AgapeDoc :

However once again....

AgapeDoc :

Well the short answer is yes. There are a variety of SSRI's including Prozac and other meds that patients have found success with (under the supervision of a licensed medical professional). I could name several, but I wonder if it would be worth it since they can't be prescribed to you in this forum.

AgapeDoc :

This would be a very good discussion for the med nurse.

AgapeDoc :

If you really aren't satisfied with the meds it is definitely worth having the discussion since there are many alternatives :)

Customer:

I'm just thinking of doing, trying something different. The lamictal I'm skeptical of also

AgapeDoc :

I want to give you my best - I know that this is a terribly frustrating situation. So I would also tell you that I have had several clients with OCD find relief - not cure- but definitely relief with hypnotherapy. I am not a certified hypnotherapist, but I have referred several of my clients to a certified hypnotherapist and they have had tremendous success :)

AgapeDoc :

In any event, you will need a prescription for the meds you are mentioning so it will have to go through your med nurse :)

AgapeDoc :

I can tell you that I see your point and if you are looking for validation - I am definitely on your side. All meds have side effects and if you are not satisfied with your current situation, then by all means find something that is better for you :)

Customer:

is either of these medications responsible for message sending, I know anti depressants can do that. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer, could that be it?

AgapeDoc :

You have made an excellent point. Again, I am somewhat hesitant to speak definitively regarding meds and their effects or side effects on patients in this online forum - but so far you have made some very valid points. And again, I commend you for taking ownership of your treatment.

AgapeDoc :

What we are saying here is in a way just "theory" - good theory. But until you actually make adjustments under the supervision of your attending medical professional you won't know for sure what is going to work for you. You may find that the regiment you are currently on was what was best after all, but you may also find that there is a better regiment.

AgapeDoc :

As far as knowing about the meds and being educated - you can feel comfortable knowing that you have good idea of how they work, etc. It's just a matter of doing it.

Customer:

okay, anything else you can tell me doc?

AgapeDoc :

Some of my customers in Just Answer have told me that they were going to print the conversation we had and take it with them to their next appointment and let their primary doc read it - for clarification. This might be something for you to consider....

Customer:

i'm all set, thank yuo.

AgapeDoc :

I hope for the best for you. If you have further questions just post them here and I will get an E mail alerting me and I'll get to you asap.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.