Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Spiritual or not

Hi, A few years ago my current girlfriend was heavily involved in drugs. Her then boyfriend then killed someone over drugs and she in some way blamed herself for this. In the past, I don't know when, she was committed for mental illness. She decided to do a psychology degree to decide what was wrong with her. Her resulting diagnosis was there was nothing wrong with her, she is a spiritual being and she is experiencing energy. I've looked it up and she's referring to what they call Kundolini rising within yoga. She tells me she doesn't see people how the rest of us see people, she sees their energy, people have all different colours of energy. She doesn't always see peoples faces and compares it to a sort of heat shimmer effect. She has now turned to Buddhism which in itself is not an issue. the people she is involved with though have accepted all she says as evidence that she is spiritual and wish to bring her along that path. Today I have been looking at symptoms of mental illness and on the symptoms I found for Psychosis, she shows all of them Symptoms include: Hallucinations (seeing, hearing feeling or tasting things that other people don’t) Difficulty filtering stimulation from the environment Delusions (false personal beliefs based on incorrect inferences about reality which are inconsistent with culture and previous beliefs, and which are firmly sustained in spite of evidence or proof to the contrary) Confused thinking or speech Difficulty doing ordinary things (often includes problems with memory, attention, putting thoughts together) Inability telling what is real from what is not I got the list of symptoms from the EAST community. While on the emergence of symptoms, the only ones I can spot myself are the perceptual changes. An opinion would be much appreciated. I  have been running in circles looking for possible answers. Unfortunately of everything I came up with and one of those was Cult membership, I missed potential for a mental health issue.
I should add, she regularly had difficult on concentrating on one task till completion and will do a little bit of different things. She calls if "faffing around" for instance, if something needs done, there will be no pattern to the order in which she does it. Will do a little bit of something and lose focus and move onto something else.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your girlfriend used any type of hallucinogens during her years of drug use (either on purpose or by someone else giving them to her without her knowledge), then she most likely is suffering from drug induced psychosis. This is basically brain damage caused by the use of these drugs. The drugs affect an area of the brain called the temporal and frontal lobes. It affects a person's ability to reason and can cause all the symptoms you describe.

Your girlfriend's lack of insight is also another symptom. A person with a severe mental illness does not see they have anything wrong with them. They feel that what they believe is different and they are special. Or they just don't see that there is a difference at all.

Preoccupation with religions or religious beliefs is common with mental illness but harder to differentiate. Though it is ok to have faith (a person may believe that God loves them without ever seeing God, which is faith), but when the faith becomes a way to explain someone's different point of view or symptoms, then it becomes a tool rather than faith.

Many of the people suffering from psychosis or other severe mental illnesses become involved with cults so that may be why you are coming across this information as you try to research her symptoms.

If you can, try getting your girlfriend to a therapist for an evaluation. She may refuse because she does not believe she has any problems, but it is worth a try. She could also see her regular doctor (though they are not trained to diagnose mental illness they may know enough to help) and he/she may be able to help do a preliminary diagnosis. The doctor could also try to encourage her to seek help, maybe even referring her to someone in particular. The doctor could also order an MRI or other tests to see if he/she can determine if this is drug induced psychosis.

One of the best ways to help your girlfriend is to educate yourself and her family about having a family member with a mental illness. Here are some resources to help you:

http://www.nami.org/

When Someone You Love Has a Mental Illness by Rebecca Woolis

The Burden of Sympathy: How Families Cope With Mental Illness by XXXXX XXXXX Karp

Helping Someone with Mental Illness: A Compassionate Guide for Family, Friends, and Caregivers by Rosalynn Carter and Susan Golant M.A.

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

Although you may not be able to force her into treatment, you can try to influence her to seek help and get answers. You can also support her and her family to help her live the best life she can.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea what drugs she was using. This assessment is relying purely on the fact that what is going on now is due to drug use. If this is not due to drug use, what might it be? Is is almost certainly a mental illness or could there be another possibility?

I would need to evaluate her face to face to know for certain what is going on with her, just like a regular doctor would need to see you to diagnose. But if she does not have drug induced psychosis, then she could have either stressed induced Psychosis NOS (not otherwise specified) or late on set Schizophrenia. Women can get Schizophrenia throughout their lives up to age 60, although it is rare. Most cases of Schizophrenia are between the late teens to 20's. But it does happen. That is why she needs an evaluation by a therapist to tell for sure. It is highly unlikely that there are any other cause besides mental illness that could cause her symptoms.

Kate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Kate, it is much clearer now. On the therapy / evaluation side, she honestly believes she is experiencing spiritual energy, being guided by a spiritual leader who is a living Budda.

This is an intelligent woman. If she honestly believes there is nothing wrong, what would be a direction to go on the therapy side. If I had nothing wrong I wouldn't go to the doctor and I'd assume this is much the same. Perception and reality.

You're welcome!

Many intelligent people have a mental illness. It certainly does not reflect on her IQ that she may have an illness. I have heard a number of times in my experience about college students, including medical students, dropping out because of the onset of schizophrenia or other illnesses. Mental illness does not discriminate.

Yes, it will be hard if not impossible to convince her to see a therapist or doctor if she does not believe anything is wrong with her. It is a continual issue with people who suffer from schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder and other illnesses. They lack the insight to understand there is an problem and many of them, even if already diagnosed and on medication, will quit treatment because they feel nothing is wrong. And since your girlfriend is highly intelligent, then her ability to explain away her symptoms is going to be even more challenging and hard to refute. But I suggested trying just as a possibility. Sometimes you can convince someone with these types of symptoms to see someone. Even if you do it by going with them based on another issue, such as relationship issues. Not as trickery, but because their symptoms do cause problems in relationships or other areas of life. Most likely, you are not going to be able to get her to go. In that case, that is why I suggested you educate yourself and her family about mental illness and also get support through NAMI with support groups and contacts there. It will help you and her family cope.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Kate, it's much appreciated.