Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I wanted to share with you what my dr. recommendation was.

She said to cut celexa to 20 and add 10 mg of Lexapro at the same time. I am to continue this for a month. Then cut celexa to 10 mg taking still with 10 mg of lexapro. It seems liike such a long transition period. Can you shed any light on why the longer weaning off celexa?
Also , when I take the celexa I take it in the morning. When should I take the lexapro?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It is a long transition period.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

It should be OK. GPs aren't as used to doing this so can be a bit conservative. I don't see any harm in this schedule, but do let her know if you do have any problems. The Lexapro and Celexa are similar enough, I don't anticipate any unusual issues. Other than that, no clue why so long transition. She may or may not increase Lexapro to 20 mg when stops celexa (Most docs would). You can take the Lexapro whenever you want. I would like take in am with celexa, but if you get any drowsiness (which is unusual), you can take pm. It is simply whatever is most convenient and comfortable to you.

Customer:

She is a physchyitrist. I thought it was a long schedule too but I wasn't sure how to wean off the celexa. Since I did it too quickly when I was getting off originally it concerns me. Perhaps that is why she is being so conservative. I thought I would follow your plan but see how my body reacts to it. Is 20 mg the standard dose for lexapro? What happens if an increase is needed?

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I would go with hers since you had so much problem with celexa before. It is conservative but reasonable. Most people do OK on 10 mg of Lexapro, but most need 20mg. One issue is you getting to an age where you may start metabolizing drugs differently and actually need less so 10 of Lexapro could be enough. I am GUESSING you follow-up with her in a month. Since she is the treating physician, I think it is wise to follow her advice, as long as it it reasonable, and it is. Otherwise, you run the risk of her considering you non-compliant. If the 10/10 is still causing issues for you in 2 weeks, I would give her a call. I appreciate you following up with me.