Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

i feel like random people are following me, and they are talking

Customer Question

i feel like random people are following me, and they are talking about me, saying that im mad.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer. This is a very fearful thing to say and you must be feeling terrible. There are three parts to this. The first is that you are being observed. How do you know this is true and has it been going on for a long time? The second is that they are talking about you and saying that you are mad. Is there anything that you have been doing that would lead them to that conclusion? Do you feel that way yourself? Do you have trouble sleeping or making decisions? Last thing I need to know so that I can help you is are you taking any drugs (particularly stimulants like meth or PCP) that might cause this? I will wait for your answer and then hopefully we can chat. I have had 40 years experience dealing with these kinds of problems.

Customer :

yes i fell terrible, im freaking out..

Customer :

basicaly this mesenger doesnt work

Dr.Kappler :

I'm sorry are you having problems with this system? The chat is a little slow but I am here. I am sorry you are freaking out but if you tell me more about the things I asked I can offer you suggestions and be helpful.

Customer :

i am not on any type on drugs. it has started about 2 months ago. i couldnt sleep, was seeing nigtmares anytime i close my eyes. i just felt bad around people, someting gone wrong with my vision(got my eyes checked - everything is ok). Eventualy i startet feeling that im beeing followed, that i have done something terrible, and people around me are talking about me , for instance that i was trying to kill my wife(which she declines), that my parents are dead(then i call them just to find out everyting is ok). It freaks me out to the point that i change lines on the tube, triing to escape them, but they are just everywhere. i quit my job this week, im scared that these people are goint to come ant take me away..

Dr.Kappler :

I see that you have come into the chat and left several times. Is there anything wrong?

Customer :

no just my internet not working very well

Dr.Kappler :

OK I am patient and wil be online all day.

Customer :

did you get my answer?

Dr.Kappler :

Nothing so far then you have entered and left the chat

Customer :

Customer :

typed that an hour ago, sorry i thing im having internet connection problems.

Customer :

did you get it yet?

Dr.Kappler :

I would agree that your paranoia has overwhelmed you. You seem to have no reason to feel bad around people unless you have truly done something wrong. Did you ever find out what went wrong with your eyes? Is it still bothering you? Are you having obsessive thoughts that you are going to kill your wife? Is there any real reason to be concerned about your parents health?That could contribute to your fears. Is there anything in particular that makes you think these people are following you? I can offer the following suggestions.

Here are some suggestions to end that fear. Be nice to people who are nice to you and even to strangers, such as holding a door for them in public places. Hold your head up high and walk like you are a person with a passion -- a passion for life and you are not going to let anyone take that away from you. Set out and do your goals. Even if people do keep looking at you in public, ignore it. Make changes of the way you are for no one but yourself. Even if people laugh at you and find something to pick on. Just think, are you ever going to want that person in your life? NO, so don't stress about it. Ever heard that saying, everybody is different? Learn to block out or accept negative comments others make... just know that they will get criticism back just the same: What goes around comes around. So, most likely if they pick on you, they do it to others also and in turn probably have social problems to a degree because people think less of them for their behavior. You must learn to see the bigger picture. Don't gossip but avoid a life that will give you a bad reputation... unless this isn't something you worry about. But if you are on this page you might care to avoid it. Keep your personal opinions to yourself, for yourself and never show anger. Maintain a good work ethic; be reliable. Let others do their own self-management and don't judge other persons' work. Try to maintain a positive attitude by showing thankfulness, courtesy and amiability to fit with the environment you work in. Keep your skills strong; know and do what is expected. Then you should have little to worry about in your work if you don't call in sick all the time or come in late. Accept the fact that some people aren't so nice. Don't argue or belittle people or it will come back on you. Get along with others; be nice to your enemy; cooperate; have a good work ethic; get into what is needed, but wait until tomorrow to worry and don't criticize other people: these are key concepts to stop being paranoid. Keep yourself busy so that if you're doing something else besides obsessing over negative stuff then you won't think about it as much. If you're really scared or nervous tell you parents/friends, whoever will support you, and they will help you. Don't be afraid; they won't laugh or ignore you; they will help you through this tough time! Believe in yourself, you have the confidence to do anything you want to. Don't let little things bother you and do your best. Most people tend feel a little bit edgy and more sensitive, especially when it comes to paranoia, when they are sleep-deprived. Get a good night's sleep (about 8 to 9 hours) and you'll more than likely feel better. It's normal to feel a little scared at times, just not all the time. If your paranoia continues so much that you quit your job you might consider seeing a psychiatrist for some medication. The new atypical antipsychotics are very effective with these feelings and do not have many side effects. Let me know what you think of my suggestions but I feel that they may be too general for your situation.

Customer :

do you think it sound like paranoia?

Dr.Kappler :

If there is no immediate cause and these thoughts are obsessive in nature that is certainy a sign. If it effects your life so much that you are being evasive while traveling and have had to quit your job because these ears have become intrusive then I would certainly agree. Paranoia is an excessive and usualoly unfounded fear that has no immediate cause.

Dr.Kappler :

Small doses of medication will clear that up with out dulling your senses. People with paranoia usually do not want to take medication because they fear that there senses will be dulled but that is not the case with the atypicals.

Dr.Kappler :

I see that you are offline so if you ave further questions I am available all day. I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. If so, please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my response. You may return to this answer for reference at any time after you accept

Customer :

if its paranoia, can it be removed by drugs, and how the drugs afecting the brains..i mean if its a paranoia, it could work like.. or if its not paranonia maybe it could make worse for my brains, i mean brains and foughts work together but brain cosist of many many other things..

Customer :

can paranoia affect the vision, and the eyes? like some people saying that my eyes looks mad or u now something wrong with them..

Customer :

if paranonia will gone with drugs can my eyes and vision , and fears, will disapear? if you think that can help can you give me some drug names or were i can find them..i realy dont trust drugs, but i think i need them..thanks for your time..

Dr.Kappler :

Paranoia is an example of psychotic thinking. These drugs have a remarkable ability to alter the chemistry of the brain so that the drugs that your brain produces when it is scared are neutralized. You have no trouble thinking but the psychotic thinking goes away along with the obsessions. There is no connection between paranoia and the eyes but visual hallucinations may be a factor. I have seen people who are acutely paranoid with visual hallucinations be returned to their senses and lead normal lives. Here is a list of the medications:

Dr.Kappler :

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_antipsychotic. I hope this helps. Let me know what other concerns you may have.

Customer :

good morning, were can i buy these drugs and is it any particular wich i need, or just any of them should be good..

Customer :

You writte before i need psychiatrist to get this kind of drugs..maybe you can refer some one who i can see and talk and get some of these drugs..

Customer :

can you sell these drugs for me?or what should i do to get them

Dr.Kappler :

I am a psychologist and do not prescribe drugs. Your safest bet is to see a psychiatrist and if you can't find one in your area in the yellow pages under Physicians Psychiatrists I will see if I can but you need to give me the town you live in. Having your general practitioner give them to you is risky because he is not familar with them but still a safe alternative.

Customer :

i do not have general practitioner, i think you mean GP buy that..I live in London, Bounds green..I'm from the Lithuania, and i planing to go to my country like for this weekend or so, to see some doctors..whould you suggest me to see some psychiatrist before i leave to my country? i was looking to the psychologist in london, they are realy expensive, i do not now how is with psychiatrist..thanks for your help anyway

Customer :

i found somethink like that but for all the process to find the ill and get prescription i'm looking to spend £350 wich i did not have..i think best thing is to get to my country and get all for less money..Anyway thanks for your help

Dr.Kappler :

The medications I have seen work the best are Risperdal, Seriquel and Clozaril. They will probably be cheeper in your home country. They will make a tremendous difference.

Customer :

i think i had a PTSD, then i separate with my wife and latter we get back together, but after bad news that she was with another guys i was crying, deprest, another day we get to mc donalds, and feel like fear or somethink, and on the weekend we had her mums birthday i was sceared to go there, and stuff, but i get to party.and latter i fell like deprest if i can call that, in the shoping centres sometimes i start fell like im dizzy or lets say diferent, was some kind of fear, to feel this feeling again, i start felling realy not cofortable near the other people, cant concentrate on the my job.i start rush like a lot then i was working, i fought like i should work hard to inprove my place in job and stuff, i was training hard, like bodybuilding..but in the public spaces or now latter in my job, i feal realy not comfortable around other people, i was sweeting then i sleep, my all matress every night was in watter, and that was going and going i was sceared to go to see doctor cous in job or public places i have this fealing, and at home i was diferent, or maybe i just fought that, but i was feeling allright..and now last two or tree months was realy hell for me, i was eaven desided to kill my self and stuff, i fought i never come back to my self, now i better, but that fear to get like in public spaces sometimes it just kicks in, or lets say then people talking about me, i coming back to what they saying and then feeling again like not comfortable or smth..can you think this is a paranonia or ptsd wich like have one of the symptons like anxiety, or phobias, or not concentrating on the job you doing, or deprest feelings, and bad mood..

Customer :

yee, i was reading about the drugs looks sceary..i now some people then they start use the drugs they using them all the time, wich is no good i think..and theyr brains automaticaly changing..to be honest with you i realy sceared to take them..

Customer :

and hear things like eaven if you taking drugs, they just keeping you alive, like they helping you than you on them..is this is a hard true or what ?

Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience: 25 years in private practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
JACUSTOMER-mnncd98s- :

Customer :

Customer :

Well as I said before most people who have paranoia will not take any medication for fear that it will dull your clarity. As to your second question about PTSD that is a disorder that comes from a traumatic incident that you relive and refeal. You did not mention a traumatic event that caused all of these psychological problems. You mentioned several symptoms. crying fits for no reason, an unreasonable fear of being in public place, a fear of leaving your home to see your mother. You feel dizzy and different and cannot say why, you have trouble concentrating at work, you are certain other people are talking about you, lately you feel so depressed that you have thoughts of suicide, your sleep is fitful and disturbed and you are afraid to see a doctor because you are afraid to leave your house. There are many symptoms affiliated with agoraphobia as well as paranoia. These are serious disorders that require treatment and medication. If you do not want medication than I can offer some sugestions about treatment for you. This is a link to the Agoraphobia Resource Center (http://www.agoraphobia.ws/treatment.htm). This is the link to the Agoraphobia Help Center (http://www.agoraphobiahelp.com/).

Agoraphobia is a deeply rooted fear of being in a public place where some perceived threat to physical or mental safety take place. While usually understood as a fear of public places, agoraphobics know first hand that this definition is only partially descriptive. In fact the anxiety and panic that accompany agoraphobia can take place in just about any setting. In extreme cases, a person suffering with agoraphobia may not be able to leave a single room of the home without experiencing a great deal of emotional pain. Fortunately, there are several effective ways to deal with agoraphobia and reclaim one’s life. Get a complete physical, including various types of bloodwork. Agoraphobia, anxiety disorders, and panic attacks can sometimes have a physical origin, such as a nutreint deficiency. Often, a carefully prescribed regimen of nutrients containing specified doses of Vitamin C, the various B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium can help to restore balance to the nervous system and over time help to decrease the terror that accompanies agoraphobia. See a therapist. When the root cause of the agoraphobia is not obviously physical, there is a chance that either a long repressed memory or an accumulation of various experiences have resulted in the development of agoraphobia. A trained counselor or therapist can help uncover these events, and assist the patient in beginning to defuse their impact on the mind, often with the use of specific types of behavior therapy. Consider the use of medication to help during your recovery. Several anti-anxiety medications, such as alprazolam have proven helpful as one component in the treatment of agoraphobia. While anti-anxiety medication does not actually treat the condition, it does alleviate the symptoms for many people and thus support the effectiveness of other treatments. Use only as prescribed by the physician. Identify and expand the range of “safe places.” Many agoraphobics have a few places where the fears and anxiety subside enough that it is possible to function. These safe places often include the home, the homes of a few loved ones, and perhaps a local park. Using these safe places as a foundation, begin to expand the perimeter of these places. If the home is safe, spend time sitting in the back yard until this space begins to feel safe. Walk one city block from your home regularly until traveling that distance begins to register as safe, then add another block to the walk. Spend more time in these reclaimed safe places. Instead of staying at the park for a half-hour, take along a book and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air for an hour. Make two walks around the neighborhood instead of one. Each gain, no matter how small it may seem, helps to decrease the hold of agoraphobia on daily activities. Attempt to visit new places in the company of a loved one. Often, having someone nearby who is supportive and inspires a sense of being safe can make it possible to at least endure a meal in a small, quiet restaurant. As time goes on, that meal out becomes less of a chore and more of a pleasure. Remember to give yourself time. Agoraphobia rarely appears out of nowhere and is often the end result of a long process. Treating agoraphobia means making changes in the way one thinks and lives. Neither of these changes can happen overnight. Take pleasure in every small success and don’t allow one setback to derail your treatment. Beware of herbal supplements that promise to do away with agoraphobia overnight. While herbs can be helpful when administered properly, they should only be used under the direction of a healthcare professional. Just as many prescription medications can interact negatively with one another, so can herbs. Uncover the underlying reasons for the agoraphobia and then work with a professional to identify which supplements will be the most beneficial in your situation. I hope that helps.

I was just wondering why you did not accept my answer so I could get paid? Is there anything else I could do for you?