TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Whew! Another not-so-great day! But Im making it through.

Whew! Another not-so-great day! But I'm making it through.

This time it's not so much heart palpitations or anxiety like usual but more like a hightened state of arousal. Hard to explain but Lord, I wish it were over! If I were the type to pace the floor, that's what I would be doing.

I wish it were cool out but it's not, so walking around the yard is out of the question. The humidity must be as high as the temperture!

Not much more to say. Today is day what? I'm not sure myself because I'm upstairs and my calendar is downstairs but it has to be at least day 4.

I have to be honest - It's getting hard to keep going, Kate. Please add prayers for courage and strength to keep going. I need them really badly.

God bless,
Rita

Rita,

This is the tough part. The part where you have to dig your heels in and insist that your body and mind get through this. You cannot stay this way forever so it will not last. Keep that in mind.

The heightened state of arousal is the anxiety. You are waking up from your medication and out of the fogginess you had before. You have become more alert to you surroundings and this can make you feel a bit overwhelmed.

Give yourself time to adjust. Do something soothing that you feel comforted by, like a cup of tea and a book. It is hard to concentrate now, I know, so if you feel that won't work then maybe a favorite program or movie. Try to avoid lots of activity or busy places. Don't overexcite yourself. Not that it would do anything to you, but it may make you more aware of how you feel and make it distressing. This will pass soon as your body adjusts.

You mentioned walking around or pacing. A bit of exercise would help. It stimulates the endorphins in your body and makes you feel calm and centered. If you can, try working out.

Remember to ground yourself by reading about anxiety and relaxation techniques. Get in touch with your body. Deep breathing, muscle relaxing (tense then relax each muscle group), and soothing self talk will help this pass. Focus on something that makes you feel happy. Touch things that sooth you. I find that things like Playdough or running my fingers through a cup full of rice helps me laugh and feel in touch with my environment. The sensation is comforting. And remember, this is just a part of your withdrawal and nothing that can harm you.

I will pray for you. The Lord is with you and understands what you are going through. Try your Bible verses too. They will help.

Keep me updated on how you are doing. I will check back as often as I can to see if you need to talk. I will be thinking of you. You are not alone in this.

Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kate, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your explanation of what is going on was so great that it brought me to tears.

How did you know I was beginning to fear that this was never going to change because that's how I was starting to feel.

God is using you in my life in a mighty, mighty way. I printed it out to read and read again and again.

May I write to you later? I just want to take this downstairs and sit and read it as often as I need to tonight.

Love and God bless,

Rita

Yes, you can write me later. I will be around until about 10:30 so I can check in until then.

Rita, I'm so glad to be there for you. You are right, God put us together at just the right time for the right purpose. Just lean on me and the Lord and you will be just fine.

Kate