AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

hello Dr, I suffer from extreme anxiety..and I feel like

hello Dr,

I suffer from extreme anxiety..and I feel like I am spinning out of control

I have been seeing a psychiatrist and recently a psychologist however...today I feel extreme anxiety...

I cant shake this feeling I have bowel cancer...even tho I went to my family doc and he said I was fine(without running tests)

how do I get myself over this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let me see if I can help here....

AgapeDoc :

It is my goal to answer your question and exceed your expectation. If you are satisfied with my efforts will you click on the green accept button?

AgapeDoc :

OK.... I see you are offline right now. Let me see if I can go ahead and answer your question with what you have posted so far.....

AgapeDoc :

And, thank you for the opportunity to serve in this capacity.

AgapeDoc :

I have read your post a couple of times and it seems that your question is how to get help with your anxiety immediately today.

AgapeDoc :

I feel I must point out that this is a question and answer site and I can't really conduct therapy here. However.....

AgapeDoc :

I can offer some suggestions in the long term and you can perhaps use these or something similar to feel better today.

AgapeDoc :

I have worked quite a bit with people with anxiety recently. It has become very evident that this issue can be addressed in the methods you are currently undertaking. AND......

AgapeDoc :

... With the added intervention of hypnotherapy! I am not a hypnotherapist, but I refer many of my clients to a CERTIFIED hypnotherapist. The results have been impressive :)

AgapeDoc :

Very impressive indeed.

Customer:

hello

AgapeDoc :

Now for today... I really wish I could offer something to help you feel better immediately - but I don't want to make a promise that I can't keep.

Customer:

sorry i dont know whats wrong with my chat thingy

Customer:

well...

Customer:

here is the thing

Customer:

I have started seeing a psychiatrist

Customer:

and a psychologist

Customer:

they seem to think i have OCD about illness...

Customer:

anyhow so...

AgapeDoc :

I see.....

AgapeDoc :

Hello there - I see you are online now :)

Customer:

I have this thing in my head that I have colon cancer

Customer:

and it directly affecting me negatively

Customer:

and physically I think it affecting my bowels

AgapeDoc :

I understand and this is challenging, but it is not unheard of by any means...

AgapeDoc :

It is treatable...

Customer:

anyhow...I went to see my fam doc..he assures me i do not have colon cancer..instead its anxiety

Customer:

and my therapists also feel this is all abou tmy anxiety

Customer:

and it more then likely is

AgapeDoc :

I understand

Customer:

but i am so stressed out I have colon cancer...how do I overcome this...without running to my fam doc every week freaking out

AgapeDoc :

As I said, this is actually quite common and very treatable

AgapeDoc :

I know that today is a bad day

AgapeDoc :

That is the question....

Customer:

what is common and treatable

AgapeDoc :

Well....

AgapeDoc :

Anxiety and OCD

Customer:

oh yes

Customer:

I dont have it with counting and such..it is all illness related

Customer:

so how do I differentiate between is this something serious...(colon cancer) or is this just my anxiety

AgapeDoc :

The key is to continue on with your psychiatrist as medication helps in this case....

AgapeDoc :

and continue with your therapist - psychologist.

Customer:

i am on celexa 40 mg

Customer:

it will be 3 weeks monday

AgapeDoc :

also see your family doc every 6 months or every year for a regular check up

Customer:

yeah...I do..but how do I get over this hump right now of perseverating i have bowel cancer

Customer:

I was just there last week

AgapeDoc :

As I said previously, I have had (my clients that is) wonderful success with hypnotherapy :)

Customer:

well I am going to try EMDR

Customer:

the psychologist seems to think i had a trauma related to illness

Customer:

when I was young

Customer:

and I am stuck there

AgapeDoc :

The hypnotherapist will help you "refocus" your thoughts and energies to something more pleasant and productive leaving less time to perseverate on the negative :)

AgapeDoc :

I won't disagree with that as your psychologist has more of your history and sees you in a therapeutic setting as opposed to this site which is great but is not a therapeutic situation per se.

AgapeDoc :

I can only tell you that in addition to EMDR, some focus on the present and future has helped others refocus their energy to a more productive life.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

so do you think it is my anxiety that is causing this obsession with thinking I have bowel cancer

AgapeDoc :

I do think that your anxiety is very likely causing the obsession!!! in order to help a little.....One technique that I can suggest today is to do some "square breathing". In this exercise, you take a deep slow breath in to the count of 4, hold it to the count of 4, and release slowly to the count of 4. I would suggest doing this about 3 times. Force your thoughts to go to positive ideas and think about feeling good.

AgapeDoc :

You can do this several times a day, but I wouldn't do it more than 3 or 4 times in any one setting :) It just helps to refocus your anxious thoughts to more peaceful positive thoughts.

AgapeDoc :

How am I doing so far?

Customer:

awesome

AgapeDoc :

Do you have more questions or need clarification?

Customer:

no thank you for your time I appreciate it

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.