mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

wind, heartburn, short of breath,bloating,extreme tiredness

wind, heartburn, short of breath,bloating,extreme tiredness gastroenterologist suggests depression anxiety
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 2 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good afternoon. I am online and would be happy to help in answering your question. Please let me know when you are online and I would be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX help you

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Good afternoon and welcome to Just Answer! I want to thank you for the opportunity to help you in answering your question. Having said that, in order for me to provide you with the most thorough and comprehensive answer I would require some further information if it's not too much trouble. First could you tell me when the above symptoms began and if there were any life changing experiences or stressful events occurring around the same time?

Second, you mentioned "wind" in your question and I was hoping you could elaborate further on what that means please.

Finally, with regards XXXXX XXXXX of the other symptoms if you could provide any additional information concerning the onset of the symptoms, if they come at a particular time, and if you have experienced any feelings of depression and/or nervousness.

Thank you kindly for the opportunity to help you and I will await your reply to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your answer and subsequent suggestions that I will offer you. Thank you again and I hope this finds you well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Symptoms started about 2 years ago, bloating, copious wind in the abdomen and chest. Heartburn.. I do lead quite a stressful life but nothing untoward occurred at that time. If it helps, I find it impossible to relax and am always tense.

My medical history inclues 2 heart valve replacements and melanoma.

That you very much as that helps tremendously. Even though there wasn't a specific stressor or precipitant that brought on the symptoms it sounds as though that the general stress in your life has accumulated over the years and eventually manifested in the above mentioned.

One of the few things that are commonly known is that anxiety oftentimes presents itself in a physical manner and essentially causes significant distress to the GI system. The fact that you find it impossible to relax and that you are always tense is indicative of generalized anxiety and an onset of potential depression due to the stress and tension in your life.

My suggestion would be two fold. The first would be for you to consider seeing a therapist experienced in Cognitive Behavioral therapy which explores further the impact that your thoughts have on your emotional state. For instance, if a thought is experienced that is negative in nature comes as a result of the constant stress, then that thought will undoubtedly lead to a negative emotional mindset thereby contributing to or causing the anxiety and depression.

Another consideration would be a workbook that is based on the above principles and helps you with exercise sheets to reinforce the importance identifying triggers and stressors that cause the emotional state. The workbook will also include relaxation techniques as a means of dealing with the stress in your life in the healthiest manners, such as deep breathing, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Guided Imagery, etc.

Here is a link to the workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Panic-Treatments/dp/0195311353

The techniques and therapeutic approaches identified above and that are included in the workbook will also help you to manage the depressive moods as well.

Obviously, the most effective approach would be to see a therapist and/or a psychiatrist in order to both formalize the diagnosis as well as recommend further treatment approaches and options made specific for you.

You can receive a referral to see a psychiatrist through your GP in order to attain a more thorough evaluation. From there, the psychiatrist can give you the option of medications to manage your symptoms as well as make an appropriate referral for you to see a therapist.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX I have been helpful in answering your question and please feel free to ask anything further in order to allow me to offer you the most thorough answer and the most appropriate suggestions.

I want to thank you for the opportunity to help you gain further insight and understanding into your symptoms and ways to manage them better. I look forward to your thoughts and any further follow-up questions that you may have.

Thank you again and I hope this finds you well.

mindhealer, Therapist