AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

I am 25 and i have always had OCD/anxiety and probably depression.

I am 25 and i have always had OCD/anxiety and probably depression. I used to think it was nothing but a few years ago i couldn't handle it anymore. So what I did was I went to a therapist and tried talking through for a while...it didn't work. So then he suggested that i turn to medication. I was on Zoloft and it worked great for awhile but when i got sick it washed out of my system and I was a basket case. After going back to "normal" i realized it made me drowsy so I asked for a new pill. I was put on Cipralex and like Zoloft it worked for a short time and now i'm uneasy again. These feelings include anxiety, OCD, depression, suicidal thoughts, extreme anger, wanting to kill people and because I can't act out on these things I end up in a corner crying. I've tried going to the gym, walks, talking to people when I can't see my therapist but nothing helps.

Is there hope for me? I know I am a good person and would never act out on my thoughts but they're destroying my life and others who are around me too!!

HELP!!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 3 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let me see if I can help here..

AgapeDoc :

It is my goal to answer your question and exceed your expectation. If you are satisfied with my efforts will you click on the green accept button?

Customer:

yes

AgapeDoc :

OK.... I have read you post a couple of times now and I am so sorry you are having to contend with such difficult issues :(

Customer:

its quite angering

AgapeDoc :

I also see that the meds are only somewhat effective or at best inconsistently effective.

Customer:

yes. the therapist says its all a matter of getting the correct dosage

AgapeDoc :

I would also point out that as challenging and "angering" as it is you are somehow finding ways to manage and survive - yes I definitely hear that it is not a happy life right now, but somehow you are keeping it together so it doesn't get even worse. You are probably stronger than you realize :)

Customer:

maybe, but i cant handle it anymore, i dont like crying. i kept my boyfriend up last night for an hour while i was crying

Customer:

i dont feel in control at all!

AgapeDoc :

First of all, I comment you for taking an active role in your med management. The first thing I would tell you is to continue to find that correct dosage and combination that your therapist and you have apparently discussed.

Customer:

it is the time in between dosages that i hate, it takes so long to get in to see the psychiatrist...hes only there thursdays. i can see my therapist anytime, but its usless if i dont believe myself. right?

AgapeDoc :

Yes, I definitely hear that this is not a happy time for you (to say the least!) I don't mean to sound "Pollyanna" at all, but I simply don't want to overlook the things you are doing to fight and win the battles on the way to winning the way and defeating this in order to have a functional happy life :)

AgapeDoc :

Both the therapist and the psychiatrist are important parts of the team along with you. And believing in yourself is also key :)

Customer:

and i agree that its the correct path to be on but i've never been this "crazy". Probably not the best word. I continur to face my fears head on because you can't hind from them forever, it's not the answer but when anxiety hits me im done

Customer:

it affects work, life, my sanity!!! all aspects of leading a successful and fufilling life

AgapeDoc :

One of the things you asked was, "Is there hope for me?" Well, let me assure you that there is :)

AgapeDoc :

Please know that you are not the only person dealing with this issue - that doesn't change everything you are facing, but sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone.

Customer:

I want and need a permanent fix. I realize even with the right medication I'll have bad days, but thats it "a bad day"....i'm currently going on 2 weeks of anxiety

Customer:

i've lost the ability to in my mind properly function, everything stresses me out

AgapeDoc :

I have heard very similar stories to yours in my private practice, consultations and so on. And while it may not be easy, there is a "permanent fix" - it's just a matter of finding it and working towards it. You are VERY WISE to realize that there will still be some "bad days" even after you find this "fix" but yes.... you will have many more good days than bad :)

AgapeDoc :

Here is what has helped others....

AgapeDoc :

...Along with therapy and meds, it is a good idea to make an appointment with a nutritionalist. Many times diet while it can't "cure" this can help.

Customer:

im on jenny craig hahaha. so i have met that end

AgapeDoc :

Additionally, you are doing the right thing to take walks, go to the gym, and etc.

AgapeDoc :

I see you are on Jenny Craig and that is good, but I'm talking about perhaps taking some supplements such as St. John's Wart, and others that a nutritionalist or homeopathic physician may recommend.

Customer:

i take STRESSEASE, and unlike what the name says, its crap

Customer:

as you can tell i am very upset about all of this and want things to happen asap!!! ive spent too much of my life all "boo hoo, poor me" that it needs to change! somedays even in my lapse i feel great and other days, like this morning. I am so very ANGRY!!!!

Customer:

i absolutely hate waiting for the psychiatrist to find better meds for me, i dont feel i have all the time in the world to wait! i need action now!!!

AgapeDoc :

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR!!! I know that many over the counter things such as you mentioned are "crap" LOL. And I wouldn't suggest that they alone will get you what you want, but a homeopathic physician has helped may of my clients find the "right stuff" to use along with the traditional meds. Much success has been realized :) The other thing that others have had TREMENDOUS success with is HYPNOTHERAPY......

Customer:

and i hate relying on others to make me feel better too! ive been told about hypnotherapy, havent tried it yet

AgapeDoc :

Interesting that you mentioned action NOW. Hypnotherapy has worked wonders for many of my clients. I have heard them say so many of the things you are saying this morning. I am not a certified hypnotherapist, but I truly believe it can help :)

AgapeDoc :

And, boy do I ever hear you say that you don't want to rely on others!!! That is great also!!!!

AgapeDoc :

Because......

Customer:

i am always scared of the downfall though and bad days. i agree its not healthy to believe this but with my track record its never that far away.

AgapeDoc :

..... A good CERTIFIED hypnotherapist shows you that you don't have to rely on anyone but yourself - in other words, I kind of hear you saying that (maybe) you believe that hypnotherapy make you rely on the therapist.... well....

AgapeDoc :

...a good hypnotherapist will show you exercised you can do on your own to manage stress, anxiety and many other issues.

AgapeDoc :

And on those days that you feel you may be falling, you can use the exercises to manage your emotions, anger, stress, and so on.

AgapeDoc :

The more I "hear" what you are saying and hear what your desires are, and hear your position, strength and philosophy on life, the more I believe that you would be so well suited for hypnotherapy.

Customer:

oh of course and i would. i take every piece of info i get and try to apply to my daily life in order to manage my issues. its really almost all about believing in yourself and i can do it but its like theres a wall preventing me fro achieving my goals. I will talk to the therapist about hypnotherapy, like i said i'm open to all that can be done to help me

Customer:

i crave balance in my life, especially mental balance. i feel its the core of who you are and it must be the first thing attended to

AgapeDoc :

We only know each other through cyberspace, but if you were my sister, I would insist that you find a CERTIFIED hypnotherapist and follow through with the appointment. I feel that the more more learn about this, the more you will see it is the long term solution to what you are contending with! :)

Customer:

i will for sure look into it. its come up more then once while talking to others

AgapeDoc :

I only wish I could tell you that I do so take this very seriously. I crave helping those how are facing tough issues and who really want help and are willing to do what it takes to make their lives better. And that is why I am feeling good right now that I think we have made very good progress and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me some great possibilities to look out upon

AgapeDoc :

Thank you so much for allowing me to serve you in this capacity. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Customer:

:) it has helped me alot. i have alot to ponder.

AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience: Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.