Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I have been on 40 mg citalopram for the last 3 months. I have

I have been on 40 mg citalopram for the last 3 months. I have taken it previously for 10 years. In January 11 I wanted to get off it but was not tapered correctly so I had very sever withdrawal symptoms. I am experiencing alot of pain in the joints of my hands so my dr. wants to switch me to Lexapro. I still have anxiety and take clonazepam as needed. I am anxious about the transition to Lexapro because of how sick I was due to withdrawal from citalopam. What would you suggest as a procedure for switching to Lexapo.
Why do I require more citalopam now than I did before going off it?
Chat is not working, so I switched.There is an effect on all antidepressants known as "poop out" which means a drug that has been effective for years suddenly loses effectiveness. We don't know why. Usually, we try to increase dose and if not work, change to similar medication.I need to know if you are still on Celexa to answer rest of question and dosage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am on 40 mg of celexa and have been for 3 months
I am going to assume you are on 40mg of Celexa now- Correct me if I am wrong. To start Lexapro, first reduce Celexa to 20 mg for 5 days. Then add 10mg of Lexapro on day 6. Stay on this for 5 days, then cut celexa to 10 mg. for 5 days 14 days after starting, increase to 20 mg. You should be fine. if not, drop me a note.Also, if Lexapro does not help with pain, Cymbalta sometimes (often) is very effective with pain. It may be something to keep in mind.The above should minimize any celexa discontinuation while getting Lexapro into system.Ed