Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

I have been taking Remeron 30mg HS for about 6 months. I would

I have been taking Remeron 30mg HS for about 6 months. I would like to DC the drug to determine the current level of depression, and also to determine if the Remeron is adding to my anxiety. I suffer from GAD and don't want to take the medication if it is adding to my anxiety. I have had periods of essential tremor which was attributed to the Remeron. Other than the tremor I haven't had any side effects.
MY MAIN question is; do I have to taper my intake prior to quitting in order to avoid unpleasant side effects?
I would also appreciate your thoughts about Remeron in general and its relationship to anxiety.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Remeron is quite a unique antidepressant. It usually helps with anxiety, but sometimes it takes 45 mg to do so and doesn't always work. If you have already tapered to 15mg for a week, you can likely quit at any time. Most people don't have adverse effects from quitting. You shouldn't have any unpleaasant side effects from quitting. At times, when starting the med. it can increase anxiety for a couple weeks. After that I would be surprised if it adds to anxiety. It will be hard for you to determine your depression/ anxiety related to remeron as although some people have immediate relapse, more often the medications will have some lasting effect and any relapse may take from a few weeks to 6 months. It may be that Remeron is just not effective for you as due to unique mechinism, there are groups of people who do not benefit from it.

Customer:

My psychiatrist holds the same view as you do re Remeron and anxiety. Perhaps I'll speak to him about going to 45mg when I see him.Thank you so much for your timely response

Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.