Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My daughter is 17 and has always had mood swings, it is like

My daughter is 17 and has always had mood swings, it is like walking on egg shells and am never sure whether she is going to be in a good mood or not. She has had numerous jobs and is very intelligent but is bored with her last year of school and tafe. She recently held a party whilst we were away where our house was completly recked and is at the moment living with a friend. I was just thinking could she be bipolar 11. She has lots of headaches, has alcohol binges, and more recently tried weed. I am worried, she wont listen and blames everyone else for her problems and she will not go see a doctor as I have tried to take her in the past for a blood test for some blackout episodes which she totally refused to get the test. Her history is not good, her father disowned her when she was 7, I have been a single mum with a couple of partners, her sister is type 1 diabetic and coeliac which she has had to deal with as well. My sister was diagnosed with type 1 bipolar after having 3 phscotic episodes. I also suffered post natal depression and have had panic disorder since nearly dying after a hysterectomy at the age of 30. Many thanks Christine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Bipolar is a disorder that is characterized by severe mood swings from deep depression to elation. When a person has Bipolar, they will become so depressed they are unable to function. They sleep a lot, their appetite changes, they are not motivated to do anything and they may become suicidal. When elated, they may go on spending sprees, drink a lot or being sexually promiscuous. They feel so up that sleep is difficult and they may sustain themselves on only 2 hours of sleep a night.

Bipolar can be hereditary, so if your daughter has a family history she may have an increased risk of having Bipolar.

From the symptoms that you described, however, it does not sound like she has Bipolar. The symptoms sound more like a conduct disorder or a personality disorder. The best way to tell is to get your daughter an evaluation. You can start with her doctor and have them refer her to a therapist. They can do a full evaluation and determine what her diagnosis is and the best treatment option for her.

If your daughter will not go, you may have to check with your local mental health clinic or your attorney on you legal rights to force her into treatment. You are her parent and I believe until the age of 18, you have the right to force her to get treatment. If you cannot, then you may want to consider allowing her to face the consequences of her behavior. That means that the next time she wrecks your home or drinks alcohol, you contact the authorities. That is hard to consider, I know, but the consequences to her and your family if she is allowed to continue as she is are great. She may eventually end up hurting herself or someone else.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if I can assist you any further,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.