mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

Im afraid that my 22 year old daughter has an eating disorder.

I'm afraid that my 22 year old daughter has an eating disorder. She gets very defensive when I bring up the subject to her. I'm very concerned and don't know what to do. I've contacted her doctor, but they can't help me without her admitting that she has a problem since she is considered an adult. She weighs 114 pounds and is 5' 7" tall. She will eat around us so I think that she is vomiting but, we haven't seen it happen to confront her about it. She lives on her own. Please help me and let me know what I can do to help her since she will not admit that there is a problem.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good morning and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please allow me to say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of the difficulty you and your family are experiencing. Based on the information you've kindly provided I would have to agree with the others in that she has to recognize that there is a problem and ask for help. Obviously, this isn't likely to happen based on what you've noted and her level of denial.

Some individuals with eating disorders do grow at least somewhat receptive when confronted in a manner similar to an intervention for alcoholics and drug abusers given that there is a compulsive and addictive component to all eating disorders. My suggestion would be to speak with your family and any close friends who have expressed concern and ha e each person identify in a note how her behavior has affected them...for instance you could write that your worrying about her has caused you great distress and feelings of depression. Another example may be that their worry and constant distress about her individual and concern about her has led to difficulties in their job due to constant worry, etc. In addition, I would also suggest providing medical documentation about behaviors of those with eating disorders and how they're clearly in line with her own behavior. Furthermore, I would also encourage you to present her with facts as to what an eating disorder can do to an individual's physical health if left untreated.

Finally, after presenting her with all this information and facts you can them express to her the concern everyone has for her and that the intervention was done out of love and certainly not to berate her or make her feel bad or inadequate. At this point she should be encouraged to meet with s therapist one time for an evaluation in order to determine the extent of help she would require.

I hope that I've been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure your question is completely and thoroughly answered.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.