Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

having panic attacks, anxiety

having panic attacks, anxiety could i have a chemical inbalance
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Panic attacks & anxiety can be related to a chemical imbalance, but this is probably oversimplifying a complicated syndrome. Panic is a form of anxiety. Anxiety can have at least 3 different components: 1) biological (imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain; or one way o looking at it is your sympathetic nervous system going into "fight or flight" mode too quickly because your "anxiety thermostat" is too sensitive), 2) psychological (stress, or "emotional baggage" from the past you need to deal with), and 3) environmental or social triggers.

The best approach to anxiety/panic is treating it holistically. You also want to think outside the box & try to be creative & troubleshoot.

Medications can be part of the solution (but don't have to be); if interested you should speak with a live doctor. I also highly recommend 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist to address social anxiety, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

There are also several self-help books you can read which will help.
1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 3) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook by XXXXX XXXXX, 4) Panic Attacks Workbook: A Guided Program for Beating the Panic Trick by David Carbonell, & 5) Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook (Treatments That Work) by David H. Barlow and Michelle G. Craske.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was reading about the deficiency in Vit 12 may also result in having some of the symptoms i have. I know that that here in Canada the medical levels suggested by the doctors are actually lower than the ones in Europe. What do you know about that and what would you suggest to do in case of vitamin deficiency?

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
do you mean vitamin B12 deficiency?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, sorry for misspelling...
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is more commonly a cause of memory loss & dementia. This is a rare condition. I don't usually check vitamin B12 blood levels in all my patients...only in older patients (50 and over) complaining of memory loss.

The good news is that it's simple to detect (just a blood test) and to treat. Either oral B12 supplements or in some cases monthly injections.

So basically you should see a doctor to get a blood level checked.

Here are some links for more details:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b12-deficiency-symptoms-causes

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-deficiency-anemia/DS00325

Anything else I can help with?