mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My son has been suffering from ongoing pain which has not been

My son has been suffering from ongoing pain which has not been able to be diagnosed. All the tests have come back negative but he is having continual panic attacks with fear of death, increasing pain in other areas of his body, fear on leaving his home or travelling anywhere in his car, especially alone. He is about to give up but I know there have to be some tools to combat these feelings. What can he do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good evening. I am online and would be more than happy to help in answering your question. Just let me know when you are back in the chatroom and we can discuss this further

Customer:

I am here

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

mindhealer :

Would you mind if I asked a couple of questions?

Customer:

Not at all

mindhealer :

Thank you. How old is your son?

Customer:

almost 40

mindhealer :

thank you. Is there any history of anxiety or panic in the family?

Customer:

Not to my knowledge

mindhealer :

ok. Any history of psychological or physical trauma with your son?

Customer:

This seems to have stemmed from the chronic pain in his chest he has had for 5 months

Customer:

No physical trauma or psychological trauma

Customer:

All his physical tests have proven negative

mindhealer :

ok. Based on what you've noted....it sounds like your son has a full blown panic disorder bordering with agoraphobia

mindhealer :

The physical pain...is it only ini his chest?

Customer:

What is the next step he can take?

Customer:

His pain is travelling all over his body but the chest pain is always there.

Customer:

He feels it is his heart but all tests are negative. Then they thought it was a gastrointestinal problem but all test there proved negative as well

mindhealer :

ok. thank you. The chest pain is likely secondary to the panic attacks as it sounds like he's having them on a regular basis. They're often mistaken for heart attacks given their location. The traveling pain is what is called referred pain and is actually very much room

mindhealer :

real...not room

Customer:

He has come to a point of understanding that is probably what is happening to him but needs something to help him cope with these continual attacks

mindhealer :

The way this takes place is that the panic attacks are so intense that they cause muscular constriction which causes the pain....the pain then travels if it becomes so intense that the chest can no longer handle it so it presents in other areas. This is something that isn't commonly known with panic disorder unless you're an anxiety disorders specialist

mindhealer :

I would like to offer a few suggestions if I may

Customer:

I would be more than appreciative for any suggestions

mindhealer :

The first would be for him to see a psychiatrist for a medication evaluation. I would suggest either prozac or paxil given that they are both FDA approved for the treatment of panic disorders in addition to depression,...even if your son has not mentioned this it's likely that he is depressed which this medication would target....................I would also suggest a medication called Klonopin which is anti-anxiety medication that targets specifically anxiety and panic and will help the attacks to decrease in both frequency and intensity

mindhealer :

The second would be for him to see a therapist...but specifically a therapist that is skilled and experienced in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which explores the impact of one's thoughts and the resulting behavioral response which in your son's case is the panic attacks

Customer:

I live in Lethbridge,Alberta Canada. Are there any such specialists in this area?

mindhealer :

You can find a specialist through his insurance or a therapist locater service such as googling "psychology today find a therapist" which helps in an advanced search....the locater service will help you to find specialists in your area

mindhealer :

My impression is that it's such a large region that there would have to be specialists in your area

mindhealer :

Finally, I'd like to suggest a specific workbook that your son can use that is concentrated on self help of panic attacks using the same approach mentioned above. Here's a link to the workbook: http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Worry-Treatments/dp/0195300017/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309216668&sr=1-2

mindhealer :

The workbook includes exercise sheets to help him manage the anxiety and panic better but he has to use them for them to be effective,...the workbook will also include relaxation exercises to help manage better such as progressive muscle relaxation, breathing retraining, guided imagery, etc.

mindhealer :

Does that help sir? I know it's a lot to take in all at once...but if he follows my suggestions he should be able to get better and have a much more manageable life

Customer:

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will most certainly follow up on your suggestions.

mindhealer :

You are indeed welcome. Is there anything I can help with or answer for you?

mindhealer :

You can end the chat by clicking the ACCEPT button if you're satisfied with answers and help Ive provided

mindhealer :

Are you still there sir?

mindhealer :

You can end the chat by clicking ACCEPT button. I wish you and your family the very best sir!!

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience