Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

What is the best method out there to improve the functionality

What is the best method out there to improve the functionality of my brain. In other words how do I become a genius? Are there medications?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in JA.

In order to improve your brain functioning, I would advise you not to use alcohol and any drug in excess.

You may need to focus nutrition and physical health in addition to mental exercises such as socialization, math games, reading etc..

A heart-healthy diet may improve your brain functioning and memory as it is for your heart. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your memory. For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic exercises.

Also, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, swimming, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may be helpful for your brain health.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,