Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Ive struggled with melancoly for years - lack motivation and

I've struggled with melancoly for years - lack motivation and have no desire to socialise or interract with people. Have been shifted from aropax to sertraline 50mg - should i increase to 100mg to see if it helps me get rid of my anti social, cynical outlook? thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a question first.
Are you working with a psychotherapist?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi there - no psychiatric consultation for years - drug prescribed by G.P. Tried everyone in the book when experiencing the panic attacks but without positive result - their primary aim appeared to be extraction of bills from my wallet. Aropax provided the cure to the attacks and i was able to stop lorazepam instantly, to Dr's surprise.

My anti social outlook is lifelong and apparently I would walk out of school and go home aged 5 :) I find life frustrating and just seem to have a negative outlook and a fear of having to go back to work. I have been a house husband for the past 4 years, helping raise my partner's children as she prefers to work. Interestingly, I recently made a speech at a niece's wedding and was told by many it was brilliant and i may have missed my calling. My persona is eccentric and outgoing when in people's company but this is in conflict with my inner feelings. I find casual conversation with people i don't know well boring which is probably a bit of a worry. thanks - mark

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
It sounds like you've struggled with melancholic feelings for years. You seem to have mixed feelings about others and/or social situations, though you have the ability and talent.

You are wondering if increasing dosage of sertraline (Zoloft) may help reduce your melancholic feelings.
You shouldn't increase dosage of the antidepressant without talking to your doctor. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication and right dosage of medication for you. A number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression.

If antidepressant treatment doesn't seem to be working, your doctor may recommend a blood test to check for specific genes that affect how your body uses antidepressants.

In general, a combination of medication and psychotherapy such as Cognitive-behavior therapy is effective for depression.
Also, alternative treatment such as biofeedback, acupuncture, nutrition, and massage therapy may be helpful to reduce improve your mood.

You seem to be critical of your anti-social outlook. I understand you want to change your feelings and behavior.

But, The book "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Olsen Laney Psy.D. may also be helpful for you to change your negative thinking of yourself.

I hope you feel better.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,