Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

i have tried several ssris anti depressants and the side effects

i have tried several ssri's anti depressants and the side effects have been intolerable. I'm on Prozac but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Any recommendations to ask my doctor about.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a question first.
How long have you tried the antidepressant?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also have tried lexapro. I've been on Prozac about 10years. My doctor raised my dose from 20mg to 40mg several years ago. That dr moved away. The reason I've tried new antidepressants is because the Prozac wasn't working at 40 and making me sleepy. Prisiq gave me electrical flashes and all kinds of weird side effects so I told my dr I would just go back to Prozac and I'm using the 20mg dose. I've come to realize I do need an antidepressant and this one isn't working. I have an appt on Aug 15 and I was trying to see what might be a good alternative. I know everyone reacts differently to each drug so I may have to go on experimenting with my dr.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
It sounds like Prozac don't seem to be working for your depression. That happens.
Everyone's different, so finding the right medication or medications for you will likely take some trial and error. There are other antidepressants that may work better for you.

If you have side effects, you shouldn't stop taking an antidepressant without talking to your doctor first. Make sure you understand the risks of the various antidepressants. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you. A number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression. There are several different types of antidepressants.
Types of antidepressants include Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs), Atypical antidepressants, Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).

If antidepressant treatment doesn't seem to be working, your doctor may recommend a blood test to check for specific genes that affect how your body uses antidepressants.

In general, a combination of medication and psychotherapy such as Cognitive-behavior therapy is effective for depression.
Also, alternative treatment such as biofeedback, acupuncture, nutrition, and massage therapy may be helpful to reduce improve your mood.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,