Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Hi, can someone help me out here..... I have been feeling tired and out of it for a

Customer Question

Hi, can someone help me out here.....
I have been feeling tired and "out of it for about 3 weeks now. I went to see my GP and had a blood (CBC) and urine test done and all came back negative. But, I am still not feeling well. The Dr. said this could all be stress related, but I am not a believer in stress/anxiety. My BM's are yellowish and loos and I feel the urge to go to the restroom every time after I eat. Any advise or help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 3 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, please tell me more about your current situation. What type of stress are you going through currently? I'm assuming this isn't your first episode. When was the first time you experienced this?

Customer:

Actually this is the first time anything lke this has happened to me

Brad The Therapist :

Please tell me more about your current situation.

Customer:

I am not (or was not) a believer in stress and anxiety....so it is difficult for me to accept that stress is causing this

Customer:

I HATE my job

Customer:

I don't like getting up in the mornings to come to work

Brad The Therapist :

What aspect of your job do you not like?

Customer:

my wife's mother was diagnosed with Breast cancer 2 years ago.....her older sister was diagnosed a couple of months ago...my wife and kids went to Canada to visit her sister as she had a double masectomy this past Thursdya

Customer:

I am bored with my job and dispise everything about it

Brad The Therapist :

I'm sorry to hear about what you and your family is going through.

Brad The Therapist :

What is your belief around stress/anxiety?

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

I think stress and anxiety is something that I can controll

Customer:

mind over matter

Customer:

know what I mean?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, I completely agree with you that it is something you can control, but the human body is interesting because it reacts to stress almost automatically

Brad The Therapist :

For example if I throw a ball at you, how would you react?

Customer:

block it, catch it or move out of the way

Customer:

instinct is to duck

Brad The Therapist :

that is right, you never know how you would react until it actually happens to you. Stress is exactly like this, the body reacts to whatever options you have. Sometimes your body may react through having BM

Brad The Therapist :

Think about when you get anxious, some people get thirsty, jittery, or have stomach pains. When stress happens, the neurotransmitters in the brain are triggered, hence the response.

Brad The Therapist :

However, you can control it once you realize what you are doing.

Customer:

So how do I control the BM's?

Customer:

My appetite is gone

Customer:

I have lost weight (about 7 to 10 pounds)

Brad The Therapist :

When do these BM occur?

Brad The Therapist :

Are they random or does it occur when you are thinking or doing something specifically?

Customer:

Every morning...first thing when I wake up.....then after every time I eat....but the latter is a very small amount

Customer:

and sorry for being disgustting.....

Customer:

In the AM i sit on the toilet have a BM...think I'mdone get up and 10 minutes later, Im right back on the toilet

Customer:

and the BM gets looser

Brad The Therapist :

Do not worry about it. I have helped people through this.

Customer:

...again sorry for being so descriptive

Brad The Therapist :

Is this right before you go to work?

Brad The Therapist :

Has your MD prescribe medications for you?

Customer:

yes....but it even happenes on the weekends...Saturday and SUnday

Customer:

I wouldnt be so worried, but its been over 2 weeks

Customer:

No....he told me to take Omeprazole, which I did for about 10 days

Customer:

as well as probiotics

Brad The Therapist :

And nothing has changed... correct? What is your diet like? What do you eat?

Brad The Therapist :

Also, do you experience pains?

Customer:

well...my wife is out of town....and I do not have an appetite....so I know my intake of food is low

Customer:

but I do not even feel like making food or even going out to buy something or eating out

Brad The Therapist :

when you do eat, what do you eat/

Customer:

I try to eat at least 3 times a day

Customer:

this morning I bought a muffin, but only ate half.....I have not yet eaten lunch because I just do not feel hungrey

Customer:

*hungry

Brad The Therapist :

Your body may be reacting to the lack of nutrition it is receiving, hence your BM. My first suggestion is for you to eat a hearty/nutritious meal. If you don't feel hungry, you may need to force yourself to eat it. If not, you can also try smoothies as well.

Customer:

OK i will try that.....

Customer:

but this is soooooooo agrevating

Brad The Therapist :

Another suggestion I have is that when you feel like a BM coming on for the second time, I urge you to take 10 diaphragmatic breathes.... to do this you first,

Brad The Therapist :

put your had on your stomach. when you breathe in, make sure your stomach is expanding like a balloon. When you breathe out, make sure your stomach is going in, like a balloon deflating. Try this 10 times and your BM may go away

Customer:

OK...will try that too....but do you really belive this could be mental?

Customer:

My GP said all I need is R&R

Customer:

IDK man!!!!

Brad The Therapist :

It is hard for me to tell you this as I have not examined you, but I will trust your doctor. Like I said, the human body is very complex and can react in so many different ways. If the diaphragmatic breathing helps, than it may be anxiety/stress. If not, you can return to your MD and see what he says.

Customer:

OK..thanks

Customer:

Ill be right back Brad....gotta go to a quick meeting

Brad The Therapist :

Ok, I will be here

Brad The Therapist :

Please feel free to respond to this chat if you have any further questions as I will receive an email notification when you are back on chat

Customer:

OK..Im back

Customer:

sorry about that

Brad The Therapist :

Not a problem.

Brad The Therapist :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no...just hoping this will go away.....

Customer:

thanks for your help....

Brad The Therapist :

If you found me helpful, please consider pressing the "accept" button. Best of luck!

Customer:

ok..will do

Customer:

let me ask you one other thing

Customer:

if this were serious, the blood woork would have indicated something right?

Brad The Therapist :

That is correct! CBC will show if there are any infections or any other underlying medical conditions

Customer:

ok..great...thnks

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults