Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

my daughter was hospitalized over the weekend for overdosing

my daughter was hospitalized over the weekend for overdosing on prescribed meds. she tryed ending her life. she was taken to a hospital far from home she says they told her she is considered voluntary. She called me and said she cant stay wants to leave she is crying and very upset.she sees a therapitist here at home. i don't no what to do could'nt she get the same medical help places closer to home? she does admit that she needs help and appears to be willing to recieve it but closer to home. not sure what i am asking but what would be the best way for us as her family to handle it.I tryed calling her thearipist but not making any headway plus i doubted if she would even talk to us because i am sure my daughter never gave permission

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I am wondering how old your daughter is? Why was she hospitalized far away from home? What types of issues has she working on with her therapist?

Brad The Therapist :

Hi are you there?

Customer:

she was taken to the local hospital they kept her over the weekend and transpered her to this hosp. far from home she is 33yrs.old not sure why they sent that far away i am sure she is being treated for depression and not sleeping well she has'nt shared what has been going on with her and how she has been feeling .

Brad The Therapist :

One of the reasons why she was sent to a hospital far away can be due to not enough beds available. Nonetheless, if you are interested in being part of the discharge planning of your daughter's treatment, I encourage you to contact the unit and ask if the nurses can have your daughter sign a release of information. The nursing staff will not acknowledge if she is on the unit, but since you already know this, they will attempt to get a release of information for you so that you can speak to her social worker.