Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I am ADD. When on Adderall I feel focused with all the positive

I am ADD. When on Adderall I feel focused with all the positive effects it describes. Also Clinically depressed. ADD med does increase my anxiety level. What meds can be used to treat this. With out ADD med I am usless and fall deeper into depression. Cillexa takes away axiety but makes me tired. not taking both at same time. I was on Adderall 30mg/day and welbutrin xr. For years but still had anxiety under stress.Also in recovery from ETOH abuse post job lost and mother recovering from Cancer. stopped taking all meds for year and tried to drink self to death. Totally sober from any thing for month per Phychiatrist. He put me on the Cellexa.The counselers at recovery place noticed my ADD symtoms and could not believe Dr did not adress ADD at last appt. Put myself on Adderall and off Cellexa.Must have had reidual Cellexa in system because I did not feel the anxiety for cuple days. Honestly I feel Some coctail that treats both would work. Have let Dr Know this and have on aug 3rd.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

No doubt, Adderall can worsen anxiety and usually it is not used in patients who are having anxiety symptoms but you have noticed improvement mainly with Adderall so your doctor should re-evaluate you for the presence of ADHD in your case along with depression.

Assuming that your psychiatrist missed the diagnosis of ADHD in your case and you are suffering from ADHD with comorbid depression, I do agree with you that a combination of antidepressant along with Adderall could be useful for you.

Benzodiazepines such as Klonopin or Xanax are also very useful in controlling anxiety symptoms and Panic attacks but they are habit forming drugs and patients may develop dependence and tolerance to their effect if used for long term. One possible alternative about which you can discuss with your doctor is to use them as and when needed to control the intermittent anxiety symptoms and panic attacks. Klonopin in mouth dissolving form could be very useful for this purpose as it dissolve rapidly in mouth and bring quick relief in symptoms

For controlling long term anxiety and depressive symptoms you will be needing an antidepressant. Instead of Celexa (Citalopram) you can discuss with your doctor about using Lexapro (Escitalopram). It is a slight modification of Citalopram but is comparatively well tolerated by most of the patients as noted clinically.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if
you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics