psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

I am a 45yo adult child survivor of emotional abuse. Since the age of 19 I have used all s

I am a 45yo adult child survivor of emotional abuse. Since the age of 19 I have used all sorts of "self-help" methods to cope and have managed to do well. Due to several recent high stress factors in my life in the past few years, I don't think that these coping mechanisms are enough now. I think I need professional help. I have looked online for psychiatrists and can find no one specifically in my area (BHAM, AL) to help with "adult victims of emotional abuse." Also, I am back in college to become a therapist (LPC) and wonder if I seek help if this will jeopardize my career chances by evidencing a weakness.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

First see if you can gain help by contacting an organization for that and speaking to an advocate.

As a therapist, I can tell you that there are many therapists in the field who are survivors of many kinds of abuse. I believe that is part of what makes us who we are. There is no type of therapy in this field that will hold anything against you for being a survivor or being in therapy. We promote therapy! That doesn't make you weak. It shows that you can face your problems head on. You may even want to specialize in the abuse area. People in our field will congratulate you on one being a therapist and two seeking guidance. You can tell other patients I know what you are going through.

I think you are in the perfect field to promote the ability to be a survivor of trauma. Other people need to hear that. Never apologize for your history. You have overcome that. I have a saying: I am who I am not because of my history but in spite of it. You want to think of it this way so that you never forget that everything goes into being you. You will find no obstacles in this field.

If this has been helpful press accept