Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

over the last few weeks ive been diagnosed with general anxiety

over the last few weeks ive been diagnosed with general anxiety with some ocd tendencies,,,,,,,,all of this started with shaky hands,,,,im on some medication now that seems to be helping me feel better and i have not been pa, but my hands still shake from time to time like when i use my cell phone or TV remote,,,,,,,,,will this go away over time?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 2 years ago.

Hello there and thanks for asking JA. Do you find that you hands shake only when you are anxious or worry about them shaking? Has the doctor ruled out any other causes of your hands shaking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had 2 weeks of tests with neorologist to rule out any serious neorological issue like parkinsons, tremors, etc,,,,Doctor ultimately said it was anxiety ,,,,the shaking is new and it doesnt happen all the time,,,just certain times over the last few weeks,,,,,

When did you start taking medication for the anxiety? What medications are you on? Did I understand you had the shaking before the medication? I think the shaking will go away as you learn how to behaviorally control your anxiety.

If you are prone to anxiety you have two choices. Give in to it or learn to live with it. Giving into it also means that your partner will suffer the burden of your fears so, to make your lives a better place to be, find ways to eliminate or at least limit this feeling by taking responsibility for your emotions and knowing you have a choice.

2. When you wake up tomorrow start doing something right away, and keep busy all day. Taking action by doing something, almost anything, will help you work through your anxiety. Sometimes it's doing the dishes or working in your garden. Other times it's reading or meditating. Just sitting around and thinking about your worries won't make them go away.

3. Focus your attention on where the feeling of anxiousness is in your body and keep your attention there until the feeling moves or dissolves. For example the tension could be in your abdomen or your neck. Whenever your attention wanders, bring it back to the place in your body where the physical feeling is. Doing this for five or ten minutes can reduce, if not eliminate, the anxiety.

4. Anxiety will grow if it's not directed into some positive action. Find someone who needs you and lend him or her a helping hand. It will almost always take your mind off your problems and fears. Helping others is actually a way of taking action and responsibility for your own healing.

5. Talking to someone is one of the best ways to overcome your anxiety. Getting together with your family and friends, even your fellow patrons at Starbucks, and talking about what you are feeling can be helpful. If you can't talk to someone, try writing a letter or visiting an appropriate Internet chat room.

6. Exercise is another good way to keep from letting your fears overwhelm you. Sometimes gentle forms of exercise like walking and yoga can be better than a hard workout at the gym. Do what works best for you at the moment and don't worry about breaking your normal routine, that change may actually help reduce your anxiety.

7. Start a gratitude journal; write down three to five things that you are grateful for. Do this every night, it works and it's very easy. Become aware of all the good that surrounds you. You can also have a releasing journal where you write about your anxiety and the actions that you can take to overcome those fears.

8. The opposite of fear is faith. When you are anxious, a great way to get out of it is to find some faith. Believing that things will get better is sometimes all it takes to make it better. It also helps to never underestimate the power of positive prayer or visualization, if it can cure cancer it can also reduce your anxiety.

9. If watching the news fills you with anxiety - turn off the TV! The world will continue to revolve even if you're not watching it on CNN. Limit yourself to one hour a day of news and don't watch anything that may upset you before you go to bed.

10. Courage is not the absence of fear, but taking action in spite of fear. Doing something new or confronting a fear by taking some baby steps is much more positive than doing nothing. If you need a better reason pick an action that will be helpful to someone else.

When you start to feel anxious you can also use the deep breathing method to relax your body.Slow breathing exercise for reducing anxiety.

The way it works is surprisingly simple, but effective:

1. Lay down in a comfortable position, preferably with loose clothing.
    2. Put one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach.
    3. Slowly inhale through your nose.
    4. As you inhale, push your belly/stomach out and feel your stomach expand with your hand.
    5. Once you have fully inhaled, take a short 1 second pause while holding your breath.
    6. Now - slowly exhale through pursed lips to regulate the release of air while squeezing your belly/tummy (Note: Try to exhale twice as slowly as you inhale).
    7. Rest and repeat.

This is a basic outline I use for the slow breathing exercise, but you can adjust some things to fit your tastes.

For example, it's not necessary to have your hands positioned over your chest and stomach, although I do find this easier for guiding my breathe "deep enough" into my lungs. If you do this exercise properly, your stomach should rise after a deep inhalation and fall after a deep exhalation.

You can also technically do this exercise while sitting down or standing up, but to maximize your relaxation you should really do it while laying down comfortably.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i started taking medication 3 days ago ,,doctor has me on cymbalta for now ,,,,and i did not have the hand shaking prior to my anxiety diagnosis 2 weeks ago,,,,,,,,he said the shakiness will go away once my anxious state is eliminated,,,i just wanted to get another professional opinion from someone that has experience with treating anxiety,,,,,,,,thanks for the infomation,,,,
You are wellcome good luck to you. Please press accept if this information is helpful.
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field