Hello I went through a 6 month assessment for schizophrenia

Customer Question

I went through a 6 month assessment for schizophrenia with a psychiatrist.

At the end of the assessment, the psychiatrist diagnosed me with having schizophrenia, but his evaluation/diagnostic report shows no evidence of diagnostic criteria symptoms to support his diagnosis of schizophrenia.

This report was sent to my GP and an electronic entry of schizophrenia was made on my file.

I complained about the diagnosis on two occassions, but despite this my GP never questioned the psychiatrist's report or made me aware that there was discrepancy in the diagnosis made because the report showed no evidence of diagnostic criteria symptoms.

My GP is trained in initially diagnosing schizophrenia based on history, symptoms and evaluation. Therefore, if the psychiatrist's report does not show any diagnostic criteria symptoms to support his diagnosis then surely my GP should have recognised this, made me aware and questioned the report. Is this right?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mysticdoc replied 5 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Yes you are right about that.

Mysticdoc :

Although your GP is trained in diagnosing this condition, a psychiatrist's evaluation should have detailed reasoning and also the management plan.

Mysticdoc :

Just a diagnosis does not make you schitzophrenic.

Mysticdoc :

I will suggest you to see a different psychiatrist for a second opinion on your diagnosis.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes

Mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Please note I do not know how to use the simultaneous chat feature so we will have to converse by seperate posts only.

Regarding my question - would it be valid for me to ask my GP the following question?;

"You were made aware (through Dr Price's report of 21 April 2010) that there was no evidence to support his diagnosis. Why was I not made aware of this and the report questioned?"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you see my last post?