Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have an obsession with eating. My husband doesnt believe

I have an obsession with eating. My husband doesn't believe that I have a problem. How do I go about fixing this addicition
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in JA.
It sounds like you may have some eating disorder, anxiety or OCD.
If you have an obsession with eating, your condition may be anxiety and OCD. OCD is an anxiety disorder.

Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) can be helpful for you to work on your anxiety and OCD feature.

I would advise you to work with a psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in CBT and anxiety/OCD (or addiction).

You may call your health insurance company and get a list of provider in your area.
Or you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to the advanced search page ( and enter your zip code and click an optional specialty as anxiety/ocd. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of session.

In addition, walking, jogging, yoga, swimming, aerobic exercise, biofeedback, acupuncture, nutrition, and massage therapy may be helpful for you to manage and improve your mood.

I hope you get well.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I honestly do not have the resources to start seeing someone professionally. I feel like I have two separate issues I eat the wrong things and way too many of them when I am alone. Secondly when I am at work (12 hour shifts with minimal breaks for 3 days in a row) I eat for energy just to stay alert.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
I can see your obsession with food may have to do with your overworking condition.

Eating food is positive and addictive for us.
You may need to work with a life/personal coach or on your own to discipline your food intake.
If you have no or little time to see a psychotherapist or a life coach, I would recommend the book THE HABIT CHANGE WORKBOOK by Dr. Claiborn to correct and break your bad food/eating habits/obsession.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,