Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

I need to ask about a treatment center for depression for my

I need to ask about a treatment center for depression for my 22 year old daughter. Do you have any you recommend that are out west? And not a rehab, but depression treatment, possible bipolar 2. Holistic and whole person approach. She is a college senior but is so depressed she is having trouble getting out of bed. She has been to therapist and doctor.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Sorry my computer just crashed and I lost what I was typing. I'll start over again.

Customer :

ok.

Customer :

I have found a place in Utah, Washington and California

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

So very sorry about that.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

That is about the crash.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

What I have written before is that I don't know how much a rehab place will help. Unless, unless, she needs protection from herself. If she is not suicidal it would be better for her to be in a psychodynamic/psychoanalytic intensive treatment that would get to the root of her depression. She would need to go a few times per week but it would get to the root of her depression as opposed to just being in a holding environment.

Customer :

We live in Athens, Georgia and she is in college in Charleston, SC. I don't think anything exists like that around here.

Customer :

She has been functioning, but when unhappy acts out with alcohol....eating disorder....over exercising....

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Where would she want to be while in treatment --- Athens, Georgia or Charleston, SC? Tell me a little more about when her depression started. Has she been suicidal?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You there?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

What also are the zip codes of where she will be so that I could look for someone there?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

If she is functioning and not suicidal and is able to do her academic work, it would be best not to remove her from school if that can be helped.

Customer :

She just feels like she can't do it...She has a good therapist here that she will see today.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me see if I can find someone in Charleston, SC. I'll be right back.

Customer :

It's like she needs to learn how to live a real life, instead of a superficial one that she grabbed hold of a few years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Oh, I just saw what you wrote.

Customer :

the short version....overachieving high school theater and dancer, received scholarship to Syracuse U for theater....in the meantime, her very successful father, doctor himself had to go to rehab for ambien addiction.

Customer :

then after coming back...in the middle of this she started doubting her decision about Syracuse, wasnt sure she wanted to go. I begged her to go for at least a semester.....then her dad and i were trying to recover, ( he had left the marriage a couple times, Never being honest about it...) and I was finally being honest, holding him accountable and not accepting his omissive lies...he decided he wanted a divorce, which threw me into the wall...Since I had saved him out of the bed where he was taking up to 10 ambien a day

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

She may have a therapist that she likes and is good but the therapist may not have the post graduate training to help her work through her depression.

Customer :

since she has gone to college several events with alcohol (which is expected freshman year) but hers were over the top, maybe a cry for help. Her older brother was there to save her more than I realized. ANd she really wants to do acting. She realizes now that is all she loves. And she has talent

Customer :

her therapist is a ph.d

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Doesn't matter. I'm talking about training post one's MD or PhD

Customer :

Anyway she went for almost 3 years without talking to her dad. He and I divorced, it was hard for me but I am better off and dating someone now. She felt abandoned by dad because he is narcissist and made their relationship about what happened to us....

Customer :

so she tends to self medicate. I think she wants to finally deal with the pain and the hurt, and obviously the dysfunction. She isn't sure how to do it with intense work....

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see better what is going on. Let me explain a little better about the kind of treatment I am talking about. It is not treatment that just patches over something but as I said before, it will deal with the kind of issues in her history that has created her current situation --- like the issues with her father.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

She doesn't need to know how to do it with intense work --- the therapist will be guiding her.

Customer :

true...I agree

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

BTW, I am so very sorry to hear about what you had to deal with with your ex husband --- how painful.

Customer :

Yeah. I was raised in a spiritual environment so my siblings and that pulled me through. And my lawyer brother helped! :)

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me find someone who has the training I am talking about and you can see if you want to use it. For example, I have 10 years of training post my PhD. Let me tell you, having a PhD in psychology doesn't quite do it for intense treatment to really bring about structural and characterological changes.

Customer :

My daughter is very smart...beautiful and tends to "put on the pretty package" like her dad did and act like everything is fine...I guess I did that also. She just has had trouble moving through. And is sorta emotionally immature, intellectually mature.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Tell me where to look for someone --- Athens or Charlotte?

Customer :

ok. You can look in Athens also. I appreciate the help. I will pay. Do you want to send an email with people that are suggestions? Or even check out a program? Have you heard of Bridges to recovery?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

She would be a great candidate. It will change her life.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I will go look.

Customer :

not Charlotte...Charleston, SC. Athens is fine I suppose. Also another place, let me check the name

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I don't know Bridges.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Sorry, thanks for your correction.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Ok

Customer :

Puakanti Wellness Center, Utah

Customer :

My oldest son is 26 and struggled severely with depression, bipolar. He was just a different, highly intelligent person. He liked the idea of equine therapy with her. Horses are popular down in Charleston so maybe that would be a way she could live there and finish school with just a semester off.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Yes, I have heard of it but like I've said it won't dig deep into the roots to make lasting changes. If she is not suicidal and you are not worried about her safety, I'd go for the psychoanalytic therapy.

Customer :

ok. Thanks for your suggestions and help. I have to go now. I appreciate it. Do you want to email names? I have an excellent therapist and my daughter's therapist name isXXXXX for XXXX Healing.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

So, I take it that you are set with your therapists.If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. You can always ask more questions after you have clicked on Accept. I wish you well with your daughter. She's lucky to have you as a mom.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me know if at any time you would like help with finding someone.

Customer :

thank you. I feel good about the therapist and am going to talk with her today/

41331.9168479167
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy