Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

Hello, I have been a carer for my wife who is a bipolar

I have been a carer for my wife who is a bipolar sufferer for about 7 years. I have helped her to regain her health and normality of life. As a result of my first hand experience I am writing an ebook as a practical guide on how to manage the illness.

I would be grateful if you could please e-mail a thoughts and practical tips on anyaspect you feel is helpful. As a thank you I will include your tips in the book and will give your name a reference. I will also foward to the book once completed.

Many thanks,
A carer
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for contacting Just Answer...and I must say that I think what you are doing is and will be not only tremendously helpful but also a great inspiration to others in the future...
To add further by way of practical tips coping skills/guide for your e book ...

* Learn to identify your triggers. This is essential because if you can see them coming, you can take precautions to ward off a full blown episode.

*Taking your medication as prescribed by your psychiatrist is very important. They know the proper dose for your weight and diagnosis.

*Keep all therapy and doctor appointments. It is significant they know what state of mind you are in, if your not doing well, they can help you decide if you need a medication adjustment or a possible hospitalization.

*Stick to a routine. because it takes awhile, but it can be done... Do the same things everyday at the same time to establish this.

*Take your medications at the same everyday/same dose...and get to bed at the same time every night, getting enough sleep helps prevent a manic episode...very important.

*Exercise 4-5 days a week if possible...this is also important and will not only help with over all wellbeing but, depression also..

*Take a shower everyday...and wash away any negative thoughts,,because its a good way to let everything go..and is very helpful when feeling depressed.

*Find inspiring hobbies, something creative,,painting, clay sculpturing, drawing, swimming, writing, dancing..its a wonderful outward form of expressing whats inward...

*Stay in touch with uplifting and caring/supportive friends...

*Most of all have a good laugh...humor helps to conquer negative self talk and mood swings...watch a good comedy.

* Get up and move around if you feel depressed...

* Never feel embarrassed or ashamed of the 'who you are' but work with it...

I hope these have helped somewhat...and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX well in this...please be further encouraged...and please 'accept' my response if it has helped as it also contributes much' by way of keeping this very valuable service going for you and others alike in the future....and my thoughts will ' be with you in this...

Warm Regards
Karyn J (ClinicalProfDipCounBmin)
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
Oh! another very important and vital tip is for you the carer to
*Have time out' at least once a week and do something nice for yourself...this is a must..as a constant carer...
blessings ..take very good care of 'self now'
Kind Regards
Karyn J