Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice

Hi, I have schizophrenia. I don't hear voices,or hallucinate other than when I'm asleep. I'm currently taking Inderal (10 mg twice a day and Ativan 7 times a day (1 every 4 hours and 3 at bedtime). These work great at relieving my anxiety and agitation. I was wondering if there was a medicine that doesn't target dopamine used for schizophrenia. I've tried Zyprexa, Abilify, Latuda, Remeron, Geodon, Paxil, Prozac, Haldol, and Risperdal. I've had side effects from these medicines, and I read that they all target dopamine. So I'm wondering if there is a medicine used to treat schizophrena that doesn't affect dopamine? Thanks, Amy.

Dr.Kappler :

Yes there are several other classes of antipsychotics you could ask your doctor about. I would be more concerned about taking Atavan that much each day. It is a very addicting drug and its anti-anxiety effect will wear off in a while.

Dr.Kappler :

Some of the newer atypical anti psychotics should be the first things your psychiatrist should try with you. Also it is important to see what symptoms the medication is treating since you say you are psychosis free and in remission. You may also consider some talk therapy to deal with your anxiety.

Dr.Kappler :

In more cases than most there is a remission in symptoms and the patient can go without medication until or if the psychotic symptoms return. More education as to your disorder may hep with your anxiety. You also need to start developing some ways to deal with your anxiety on your own such as yoga, meditation or deep breathing.

Dr.Kappler :

Let me know how you feel about these suggestions.