Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

Hi. I was wondering how long a person could surpress a bad

Hi. I was wondering how long a person could surpress a bad memory. I seem to be now for something that happened a very long time ago. It is a very unpleasant and disturbing event.

I feel quite upset with these memories.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer.. regards XXXXX XXXXX upsetting memories and symptoms..for which I am truly sorry to hear of your experiencing...not easy to say the very least...and feel for you much in this..
The good news is that there is treatment for flashbacks/unpleasant suppressed memories ..due to an unpleasant trauma suffered...
This treatment is called EMDR and is a very powerful and successful psychotherapy is also a relatively new intervention..and helps people who suffer from trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Until recently, these conditions were difficult and time-consuming to EMDR is considered a breakthrough therapy because of its simplicity and the fact that it can bring quick and lasting relief for most types of emotional distress...and research has also shown that it is the most effective and rapid method for healing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
This is a specialized field for professional therapists so I have posted EMDR directories below for you to source for contact details and further information...
This can be an exceptional healing aid and has been for many in the past/present..and I really hope you find the courage ( and that the time is 'right' for you) to seek it out... Please 'accept' my response if it has helped as it also contributes much' by way of keeping this very valuable service going for you and others alike in the future....Take very good 'self' care now and my thoughts will ' be with you in this...

Kind thoughts & very best wishes

Karyn J (ClinicalProfDipCounBmin) information about EMDR therapy) therapist directory) directory)
Hello, upon further research in answer to your initial query :how long can an unpleasant memory be suppressed?...Studies have shown that people have the ability to suppress specific memories at a particular moment in time through repeated practice,.Research also suspects that the more traumatic an emotional memory is, the more practice is required to suppress it...and this can be practiced repeatedly on either a subconscious or conscious level daily....
Karyn J
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your kind response.

But what I`m really obsessing about is whether or not it is normal for people to carry traumatic events to themself for so long.

I think the counselling I am receiving right now is the reason this has come closer to the surface.

Hello and thank you for your reply...yes, this can happen... as when explored further and on a deeper level, this can bring repressed and even forgotten memories of a traumatic event to the surface...and though very painful it can lead to recovery..and healing for some in time...
Take very good care now...
kind thoughts