Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I abused marijuana for 3 years. I suffered black outs and other memory loss issues. I als

Customer Question

I abused marijuana for 3 years. I suffered
black outs and other memory loss issues. I also abused alcohol during the same 3 years with black outs and over doses. My memory is terrible. I have a very hard time memorizing and remembering things. Is there a way to recover my memory or improve my memorizing skills? I would like to be able to take a language class and be able to pass it. The Question is: Can I repair the damage to my brain? Its over 25 years since I destroyed my memorizing skills.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
How's your health now?
How's your sleep?
Do you exercise? Do you eat healthy?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
Please also allow one hour for me to get back to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in JA.
As you stated, excess use of marijuana and alcohol may have affected your brain negatively.
In order to improve your brain functioning and memory, you may need to focus nutrition and physical health in addition to mental exercises such as socialization, math games, reading etc..

A heart-healthy diet may improve your brain functioning and memory as it is for your heart. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your memory. For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic exercises.

Also, stress reduction and relaxation techniques such as yoga, swimming, biofeedback, acupuncture, meditation and massage therapy may be helpful for your overall health.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,