How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for an answer of a disorder or something that my wife

Resolved Question:

Looking for an answer of a disorder or something that my wife has. She is normally very independent, has hormonal mood swings, says she does not like to have affection shown to her or give affection in the normal sence. Her vision of affection is cooking a meal or picking up the house, thats what turns her on. She also has no reasoning function, i.e. Whatever she thinks is just the way it is in her mind, no matter how big or small. There is no reasoning with her she is always right. Kinda like a twisted version of not knowing right from wrong. She was on zoloft and xanax but got off of it a couple years ago.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Has she had depression and anxiety before?
Does she have any trauma before?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
Please also allow 30 min. for me to get back to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Definatly has depression, was diagnosed with PPD 8 years ago. Dont know about any previous trauma. Im assuming there is, she hates sex. Also has turned away from all nearby family and friends that know her best. Has found all new friends.


I just need a direction in where to go. Cant get her to see a professional because she says nothing is wrong.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Did she get the diagnosis of Paranoid personality disorder by her doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No sorry it was Post Pardum Depression. It was from a therapist.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
I am sorry to hear about your wife's condition.
It sounds like she has symptoms of depression as she exhibit emotional withdrawal, low sex drive, and cognitive decline.

Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression and cause Psychosis. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Her doctor should know all the medication that she is taking.

I advise your wife to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.

She may ask her doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that she can work with weekly.
Or she may call her insurance company and get a list of providers in her area.
Or, you and she can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So she can see it as an informational meeting. She can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If she seeks a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which she can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, she may benefit from having a support group for adults with depression in her area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with depression. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group to people with a variety of problems.

In addition, walking, jogging, yoga, swimming, aerobic exercise, biofeedback, acupuncture, nutrition, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve her mood.

You and other family members may need to encourage her to get help from a psychotherapist (ideally, a psychologist specialzing in CBT and depression).

If she resists, ask her to go see a marriage therapist and discuss your concern for her. The marriage therapist may advise her to see a psychotherapist again.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions