mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

Im recently learning to drive and i feel anxious before i get

Im recently learning to drive and i feel anxious before i get in the car and im worried that i will black out behind the wheel because i feel so weak and i have some sort of tunnel vision, is there anything i can do to prevent this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. Based on the information that you've provided it sounds as though you are experiencing "anticipatory anxiety" essentially meaning that you grown into an anxiety or panic attack just based on anticipating driving and having an irrational unjustified fear that you will black out.

My first suggestion would be for you to consider seeing a therapist to help you work through the anxiety; specifically one that is experienced in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as this is the most effective form of treatment for this condition. It helps you to explore further your thoughts and the resulting impact that they have on your emotional state thus resulting in the anxiety. You will also be provided with different ways of coping such as breathing retraining which helps to lower your heart rate and uncloud of your thoughts and judgment thereby giving you the ability to cope better with the stress and anxiety.

I would also like to suggest a workbook that is based precisely on the above mentioned and that you can do on your own time. The workbook also includes specific exercises mentioned above as well as ways to help you cope better with and manage better than anxiety and panic.

Here is a link to the workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Worry-Treatments/dp/0195300017/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309216668&sr=1-2

Finally, I would suggest that you consider seeing your physician and consider taking Klonopin 1-2 mg per day which is an anti-anxiety and help you manage better thereby allowing you to implement therapeutic approach mentioned above better. The reason that the benranol isn't working as well as you would like is because it is a beta blocker and they are considered to be more for maintenance as opposed to treating acute episodes as the ones you've mentioned having. Furthermore, these medication properties are not as strong as the anti anxiety medications I mentioned above.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am extremly happy with my answer , but could you possibly suggest something small i could do for now since my next lesson is tuesday and an extra hour :/

Thank You xx

Certainly!! I would suggest that you go to you tube and type in "progressive muscle relaxation" and follow the instructions which will certainly help with relaxing both your physical and mental state as well as slow your heart rate making your anxiety more manageable.

Furthermore, by engaging in Breathing Retraining it can also help you with managing the anxiety enough to help you through your test. 4 times a day...do deep breathing for 5 minutes each time....the way to do this is to Slowly inhale through your nose and then hold your breath for a count of 5 and then exhale VERY SLOWLY through your mouth by saying the word "RELAX" which will help you to manage better and it will also help to lower your heart rate thereby lowering your anxiety level.

Let me know if you have any further questions before clicking the ACCEPT button as I want to be sure that your question is answered thoroughly. If you're satisfied with the answer I'd sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the accept button. I truly hope this helps and finds you well. Thank you again for the chance to help you.

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience