mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I desperately need help. My mother was misdiagnosed about

Customer Question

I desperately need help. My mother was misdiagnosed about 7 years ago and suffered from an antibiotic induced mania. She has not been the same and is now in such a state of depression that we don't know what to do. She mentioned going into a program to help her cope and figure out what medications she really needs to be on. Her Dr. now has allowed her to become addicted to percoset, (2-3 a day on a good day) she takes antidepressants and also sleeping pills. She sleeps 12-13 hours a day and spins into these uncontrollable crying episodes. Please help me...what can I do? Where can I take her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good evening. I would be happy to do my best to help you. I am online now. Let me know when you are back in the chatroom and I'd be happy to discuss this further with you

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Good evening. I waited for you in the chatroom and then changed over to Q and A to ensure that you receive a timely response.

Based on the information you've kindly provided it sounds as though your mother is experiencing fairly frequent mood shifts that seem to suggest a bipolar diagnosis. I would be helpful to have some further information before I give you a final conclusive answer and offer suggestions that could help you and your family.

1) Prior to the antibiotic induced manic state...did she have any history of mental health conditions before? What age did she experience the antibiotic induced episode and her age now?

2) Any history of mental health or substance abuse in her family?

3) Has she exhibited any signs of mania since that initial diagnosis or has it been always depressive episodes?

4) Does she present with any type of atypical behavior when spinning into crying episodes? Lack of sleep, hyperactive, speaking rapidly, etc.

I think this information will be a good start for me to help you further.

Thank you for the chance to help you and I look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1) I believe my mother has always had some level of depression her entire life. She agrees

2) I believe there has been alchohol abuse and my grandmother just passed a year ago after a very long battle with Alzheimers.

3) We have definitely seen manic behavior along with the depression. Staying in bed for days then getting out and seemingly able to function.

4) Yes, her blood pressure is elevated, she has gone through sleepless nights, anxiety and again just unable to function.
Thank you very much for your responses. They certainly help. If I may ask...do you know what medications she is currently on? I'm very sorry as I should have asked that along with the other questions. Thank you for your time and I will await your reply.
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is on Percoset, Celexa, Clonopam, Ambian and high choleteral medication. Unfortunately I don't know the dosage of each.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Percoset, Effexor, Clonopam (generic Xanax), Ambian, they just changed her to Trazadone yesterday and it was a disaster so they re-filled her Ambian today. She also takes medication for High Cholesteral. I'm sorry I don't know the dosage of each med.

Thank you very much. I don't need the dosages. Not to worry. Based on everything you've mentioned, both initially and in the follow up questions it sounds as though the induced mania your mother experienced years ago may have manifested a bipolar disorder that had been laying dormant.

First of all...aside from the Klonopin and the Ambien and of course the medicine for her cholesterol she is on the wrong type of medication. She would do much better on a mood stabilizer such as a starting Dose of Zyprexa 5mg or Risperdol 1-2 mg. These two specific medications are listed as antipsychotics but they are actually more used as mood stabilizers and have been found to be effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder.

Some of the more common mood stabilizers would include Depakote or Lithium but both require frequent blood work and they often need to be adjusted too frequently to be of true value.

As for the percocet addiction...It sounds as though she may have started to take more then prescribed to "numb" the emotional pain as is often the case in a misdiagnosis such as this.

In order to get your mother stabilized fully she would need to go inpatient for a couple of reasons. To get her started safely on the medications I mentioned (or another mood stabilizer suggested by her doctor) as she will need time to adjust to those medications. The other reason would be to get her off of the percocet. The reason I say this is that percocet is an opiate which would require a medical detox and can be quite unpleasant.

So at this point I would suggest an inpatient hospitalization for the above mentioned but also to receive an appropriate diagnosis. I know you mentioned there have been several ER visits and they have sent her home....The issue would be no acute suicidality. If she indicates that she is feeling suicidal and DOES NOT feel safe then she will be admitted. From that point upon her further stabilization I would suggest her being put into a dual diagnosis Partial Hospitalization Program which targets both continued stabilization of her mental state as well as addressing the addiction issues...even though it's likely being used as self medicating the chances of her being addicted to them by now are high.

The Partial program would include groups and individual therapy on a daily basis for about 4-5 hours a day. The other good thing would be that she would see a psychiatrist at least twice a week in order to make any adjustments of her medications.

Please let me know if this helps and if you have any further questions or need additional clarification as I want to be certain that all your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you suggest any facilities in Colorado...if not, what facilities do you suggest. At his point we are not concerned if insurance covers it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I go to chat with you live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My father just phoned and I have to leave. We need to take her in somewhere.

I'm really sorry but I'm not familiar with places in CO. I would strongly suggest university medical centers as they have the best reputations and are up on the latest treatments and are also likely to have the later treatment approaches and the psychiatrists on staff are typically also professors which would certainly lend to their approach and understanding of how best to treat her.

Some options would be University of Denver Medical Center or University of Colorado Medical Center. Where she receives her initial stabilization is not as important as where she does her follow up care and treatment which the unit social worker will help in placing her in a program that you all agree on.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

As for a live chat you can type in an additional question on the site and request that I answer it. It will go directly to me and we can then chat in the chatroom live.

I will be up for at least another 3 hours until around 11pm EST