Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

My wife is 75 years old and her attitude towards me has slowly

My wife is 75 years old and her attitude towards me has slowly changed, she has locked me out of the house on 3 occasions, she accuses me of stealing her money and her jewelry, and she hides things because she thinks that I will steal them. She uses Zanax and Prozac but carries them around with her "for security". Her short-term memory has become steadily worse and she reads things over and over but does not retain any information about daily news etc.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like a cognitive disorder like delirium or dementia. You need to tell her doctors about these symptoms so they can do the appropriate tests which include bloodwork (vitamin B12, folate, & RPR on top of routine blood count, chemistry, urinalysis, & thyroid function) as well as a brain scan (CT or MRI).

Those are not my favorite medication choices for someone with her symptoms and her age. Make this a priority and contact them right away.

She may benefit from inpatient hospitalization in a geriatric psychiatry unit if the symptoms are severe enough; otherwise an outpatient doctor with expertise & experience in such is very important.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using