Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

I have schezoprenia.i was dignozied13years ago I have been

I have schezoprenia.i was dignozied13years ago I have been going to school and working for 13years.what is the possibility of me being disabled?i go to the hosipital and I see a doctor once in two months.i take 32milligrams perpenazine.if I will be labled as a disabled will I still be able to work and earn money?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
As long as you are doing well on your medication, this shouldn't be any concern. Many people with various psychiatric syndromes are still able to work and enjoy live to the fullest.

Your treatment is confidential. You don't have to tell anybody you don't want. As long as you are doing a good job at work, nobody will be able to label you as disabled.

The main thing is if you have any symptoms that start to increase and bother you, talk to your doctor to make sure they get treated so they don't interfere with your ability to work.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do you think after all these years of going to school and working is there a posibility of me being labled as disabled?and will I still be working if I am labled as disabled?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
No, I do not. Just don't tell anybody about your diagnosis and treatment. If you have been working & going to school for years without any problems, you should continue to be able to do so.

Anything else I can help with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What will happen if peple know will I lose.my right to work?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
Even if people know you will still be able to work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more question will take medicine the rest of my life or will I stop useing them at all?the doctor reduced the dose of medicine I take from40to 32 because it makes me so sleepy does this mean that he keeps on doing that and I will stop useing them at all?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
Most people with schizophrenia do need medications for their whole lives. If you want to try a medication that doesn't make you sleepy ask your doctor about abilify or geodon.

These are newer medications, so they are expensive and not available in generics yet in the US. Any time you try a medicine there is no guarantee...it may work better than perphenazine for you or it may give you other side effects you don't like. Despite all our science, there is a trial and error approach.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I read abouttypes of schezoprenia and people who have paranoid schezoprenia which is my type are less likely to be disabled.what do you tell me about this?and why do you want me to keep it confidential about my diagnosis and tretment?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.
In general, yes, people with paranoid schizophrenia can be more functional than other types.

The only reason I recommend confidentiality is because i recommend it to all my patients. Although we have made tremendous strides in battling stigma versus psychiatric syndromes, some ignorant people may not understand what depression, anxiety, addiction, dementia or schizophrenia really are and may judge people because of this.

Only share your personal information with people you have known quite a long time and those you feel you can trust and or those who love you undconditionally.
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience: 15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.