Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

what pre scription drugs help with betting speed addiction

what pre scription drugs help with betting speed addiction need answer before i lose my family
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
I think the best choice would be wellbutrin (also known as bupropion, budeprion, or Zyban). This is technically an antidepressant, but a ver unique one. You should avoid it if you have any history of seizures ro bulemia.

What makes it different than all other antidepressants is its effect on the dopamine system in the brain. This is why it helps decrease nicotine cravings. Basically, most addictions eventually reinforce the dopamine system of the brain.

Although wellbutrin is not officially FDA approved for speed addiction, there have been many reports of it helping such.
Keep in mind doctors very often prescribe meds for conditions
that they are not FDA approved for (it costs lots of money for FDA approval; and sometimes there is enough research to justify a trial of a med in a patient, but not enough for the official FDA approval).

The only other choice are stimulants (like adderall & ritalin) but these are really a very bad idea. These are basically "low grade, pharmaceutical speed." They can be just as addictive as street speed. Most doctors would not prescribe these for you because of this risk.

Keep in mind that even with wellbutrin, you still may have some withdrawals. There aren't any specific medications for speed withdrawal or speed addiction. Consider going to a detox and also an inpatient rehab...or at the very least go to outpatient rehab. If cost is an issue, go to AA or NA meetings. These are free and a good overall treatment. Even if you don't agree completely with the 12-step philosophy, there can be many things to gain from this program.

Treat yourself holistically too. This would include 1) psychotherapy with a live therapist, and 2) learning some formal relaxation therapy.

The last 2 treatments I mentioned are proven by sophisticated studies using brain scans (CT, MRI, EEG, pet scans) to improve brain function.

Also, by formal relaxation therapy I mean yoga, meditation, or similar methods. Having relaxing hobbies is also important, but not quite the same as formal relaxation therapy.

And remember you can't separate emotional health from physical health, so exercise & nutrition are vital.

And read books on sobriety. These are easy to find.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more feedback. Good luck & take care.
______________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once you are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was a elete athete that had carrier cut short i think i take stimutes to shut out depression of losing everything i ever wanted and honestly i am to ashamed to go to rehab and i cant even front my parents anymore im slowly beating it my anxiety is main problem is there anything u can recommend ive started traing again once im doin nothing though very anxious
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
It is common for people to self-medicate depression or anxiety with stimulants. Again, you must treat these comprehensively & holistically. I understand the shame of rehab, but you need some kind of live treatment. Despite whatever advice I give you, there is no substitute. If group programs like AA make you too nervous, start with a 1-1 counselor...or get a close friend and family member to go with you.

Wellbutrin could also treat anxiety...but rarely could make it worse. There are numerous other options. You need to see a live doctor for a prescription. Finding out if any family members respond well to a particular medication will be helpful as sometimes these patterns run in families.

In the meantime, here's a link to a simple relaxation exercise to get you started as well as some self-help books more geared towards anxiety:

The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-By-Step Program by William Knaus

The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth and Georg H. Eifert

Focus on learning relaxation therapy and exercise (a great natural way to burn anxiety off) while finding some live professional treatment. You can also try over the counter herbs like chamomille tea (if you're on any other medicines, check with your doctor to make sure they won't interact with any over the counter herbs).

Anything else I can help with?

The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i cant take family or close friend im fighting this alone and its a lonely lonely road i thank u for ur timeand 4 someone to chat with whom dont judge me
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
I know it's humbling, but don't fight it alone. It takes a team to heal. Even if you don't feel comfortable letting your family or friends know what's going on and reaching out to them for help, at least find some professionals. Addiction is a common syndrome that affects all races and classes. Some of the most brilliant people in out time battled with addiction (poets, artists, scientists, etc.).

There is hope...the good news is that you haven't even started any treatment so it CAN work for you...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you doctor
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience: 15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.