AgapeDoc
AgapeDoc, Psychologist
Experience:  Dr. W. D. Nicholas will help you find solutions to life's challenging issues.
55589990

What are personality assessments used for and how do they help

What are personality assessments used for and how do they help a counselor or a client?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  AgapeDoc replied 5 years ago.

AgapeDoc :

Thanks for contacting Just Answer. Let me see if I can help here...

AgapeDoc :

It is my goal to answer your question and exceed your expectations. If you are satisfied with my efforts, will you click on the green accept button?

AgapeDoc :

OK... I can see you are off line, so I will go ahead and address you question - it is a good one :)

AgapeDoc :

There are many, many personality assessments and they are used for a wide variety of issues that help clients, counselors, organizations, law enforcement, and many other entities.

AgapeDoc :

The study of personality has been around for centuries! However, it gained popularity fairly early in the 20th century. Famous psychologist Carl Jung studied and wrote about it, and a mother daughter team developed the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory that many organizations use for various reasons that I will discuss below.....

AgapeDoc :

... Many personality assessments are used to help a client understand his/her motivations and behaviors better. They can also help a counselor understand the client better :) You see once a personality assessment has been administered and the results determined people will fit into "general" types. That's not to say that their aren't individual differences.....THERE SURELY ARE :)

AgapeDoc :

But, these differences are easier to understand in the context of one's personality "type".

AgapeDoc :

Organizations use personality type inventories like the above mentioned Myers-Briggs as well as True Colors to determine if a job candidate will be a good fit into the organization and base their hiring decision partly on the job candidate's personality.

AgapeDoc :

They also use this to help determine what jobs their employees will be good at as well as which employees will work effectively on a particular team.

AgapeDoc :

You can no doubt see how this benefits both the organization and the employee :)

AgapeDoc :

Personality tests are also used to see if a client may have a personality disorder. Probably the most recognized assessment for this is the MMPI-2. This is also used in criminal court cases to determine if a defendant in a trial is "legally sane".

AgapeDoc :

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. If you wish to discuss more or have more questions simply post your response here and I will get an alert to come back into the discussion (which I will do at my earliest convenience.... possibly right away).