TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi im 50, and going through the menopause iv just recently

Hi im 50, and going through the menopause iv just recently started HRT, i suffered with hot flushes night sweats sleeplessness, always feeling tired no sex drive, mood swings and feeling very depressed sometimes. I have had thoughts of just ending everything as i feel now but am totally confused as to if this is part of the menopause. my head is totally confused and hate feeling like this, iv always had a very happy life and relationships.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, you can have depression that is at least partly caused by going through menopause. The hormones involved with menopause can cause imbalances which in turn triggers depression. There were two studies done recently through the Massachusetts General Hospital and University of Pennsylvania in the U.S. that showed women who never experienced depression before in life became depressed when they were menopausal. Women who had experienced hot flashes were most at risk.

Most women who experienced the depression had previously had strong symptoms of PMS throughout their lives and were smokers. But even non smokers experienced depression.

Have you also experienced any other stress in your life recently? Job, marriage or family issues can cause stress which in turn can cause depression. Paired with strong hormonal changes, you could feel very depressed and possibly suicidal. It is very important that you seek help if you should feel suicidal again. Keep emergency numbers close by in case.

Also, support helps a lot. Friends, family and professionals can all help you work through this and be there for you. Diet and exercise can also help a lot. Support groups may give you the contacts you need to not feel alone in your struggle. Here is a resource:

The best option is to not ignore these symptoms. Talk with your doctor right away about treatment options. A referral to a therapist for an evaluation can help you sort out what could be attributed to your life and what could be hormonal. Treatment can be medications, therapy or both. Most women who experience menopausal depression find that it is temporary and it lessens or goes away after menopause. But treatment is very important to help you through right now.

You can also find a therapist on line:

Here are some other resources to help you:

The Estrogen-Depression Connection: The Hidden Link Between Hormones and Women's Depression by XXXXX XXXXX and XXXXX XXXXX

A Woman's Guide to Menopause and Peri menopause (Yale University Press Health & Wellness) by Mary Jane Minkin M.D. and Carol V. Wright Ph.D.

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Let me know if I can help any further,