TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Do you know of a good medication with few side effects

What are you being treated for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OCD. It came out during my pregancy. I went to behavior therapy and got it under control. I was afraid to get off the medication because I was afraid the OCD would come back. Since the birth of daughter I have not felt the same so I have recently decided to come off of paxil.

Since every person has different body chemistry, it is difficult to say how any one person will react to a medication. That is why some people can take a medication with little effect and someone else has a severe reaction.

Side effects listed with medication are all the possible side effects a person can have. So trying different medications to find one that works is very common. Almost everyone has to try at least a few medications to find the right one. And once you do find one, your body may become used to it and you need to switch medications to achieve the same effect.

If you have not had the same symptoms of OCD for a while that you did before, you may want to consider being reevaluated to see if you still have OCD. If you do not, then you may not need the medication at all. You could always continue with therapy to monitor your progress and spot any problems you may have.

Other medications you can try that are very popular are Zoloft and Prozac. They are both SSRI's like Paxil but they may not cause the same side effects that you had with Paxil. I know that many people have good experiences with Zoloft and it is a very commonly prescribed drug.

Kate