mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I live in Georgia, and have a friend who has been telling several

I live in Georgia, and have a friend who has been telling several of our close friends his thoughts of suicide (detailing different scenarios to each person)... He has a history (approximately a year ago) of dramatically throwing out such threats. We had an "intervention," at that time, and explained a 72 hour hold- if he was serious. He admitted that he didn't really want to kill himself, and we moved on from that point... The past year has been an insidious decline in his mental health; and in the past week, he has been describing different means of ending his sadness/anxiety. (He cheated on & divorced his wife and two daughters, but now wants them back. She has moved on & he cannot handle the situation.) He is obviously slipping into a depression, but I am unsure what to do about the suicide talk... I think he is using it for attention value, but am not willing to risk it... Should we try and get a 72 hour hold? We are all so frustrated and scared. thank you so, so much for your time. susannah chastain
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. First please let me say that I am sincerely XXXXX XXXXX hear of your friend going through this as well as what you're going through as a result.

Based on the detailed information you've kindly provided it sounds as though your friend is presenting with a personality disorder in addition to the depression that he's clearly going through. I can sincerely XXXXX XXXXX concern about his throwing out the suicide statements and chances are that he is doing so in order to get attention. However, I've learned over the course of my practice that regardless of the behavior and circumstances that it's best to err on the side of caution.

The reason I say that is two fold. The first is the obvious, in that if they are not simply stating it to gain attention and actually do it that would be the worst given that they had asked for help in that respect and were not heard.

The second is to present that you were serious when you had the intervention in the past and that this type of behavior will absolutely be taken seriously and that this is nothing to joke about and certainly not a way to ask for help.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and do the 72 hour hold, especially that he's been on a downward spiral as of late.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience