mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

my daughter is 22yrs old when she was born she was given phenobarbital

my daughter is 22yrs old when she was born she was given phenobarbital medication becase she had convulsions -she seems normal throughout her life till now. she only wants to sleep she cant hold a job shes allways spaced out she laughs weird out of nowhere also has terrible personal higene and over eats im frustrated please help me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

mindhealer :

Hello. I am online and would be happy to help you. Just let me know when you are back in the room and we can discuss this further

mindhealer :

Thanks for joining me in the room. Would you mind very much if I asked a couple further questions in order to gain a better understanding of what is occuring with your daughter?

Customer:

im here ok

mindhealer :

Thank you. Are there any additional symptoms that you've noticed about your daughter other than the laughing and poor hygiene?

Customer:

anti social no friends lies

mindhealer :

thank you. Do you ever notice her talking to herself? almost engaged in a conversation?

Customer:

yes she can stare and wont say a word

mindhealer :

Thank you. Any observation of paranoid thinking? like people are out to get her or harm her?

Customer:

no she only wants to sleep day and night

mindhealer :

ok. when did you start to notice these symptoms?

Customer:

i lost track of time

mindhealer :

no problem. One final question. Is there any history of mental health in your family or her mother's family?

Customer:

none

mindhealer :

ok. Any life altering issues that your daughter has had over the last year or so?

Customer:

her mom and i divorced in2006

mindhealer :

ok. My initial impression is that she's presenting with signs of a major depression which hasn't been addressed either because she hid it very well at first or did her best to ignore it

Customer:

what shoulkd i do

mindhealer :

When a depression gets to that point it's not uncommon for psychotic symptoms to present as well, such as laughing to herself and such

mindhealer :

the first thing to do is to get a referral from her Primary Care doctor to see a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis and get her started on medications. From there it's equally important to get a referral for her to start seeing a therapist in order to begin to process and work through her difficulties

Customer:

do you think the medication at birth had something to do with this or just the divorce

mindhealer :

likely not the medication as there's no evidence showing a correlation between pheno and depression. It was likely the impact of the divorce had on her...but rest assured it is certainly treatable and she will get better with treatment

mindhealer :

Do you have any further questions that I can help with?

Customer:

thank you so much

mindhealer :

You are indeed welcome.

mindhealer :

you can end the chat by clicking ACCEPT if you're satisfied and happy with the answer I've provided

Customer:

how can i get in contact with you

mindhealer :

You can go to this website and when you type in your question you can request that it goes to me directly

Customer:

ok thanks

mindhealer :

sure thing.

mindhealer :

you can click accept if there is nothing further at this point. I wish you the very best