mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

My daughter has traits of ADHD, autism, and aspergers but not

My daughter has traits of ADHD, autism, and aspergers but not enough for a formal diagnosis. She is very very short-tempered and emotional beyond believe. She is very destructive when upset, today for example she destroyed an expensive mobile phone. She goes into a crying meltdown at the slightest thing and mentioned that she will not take a compass to school for fear of stabbing someone that might annoy her. Do you think she has the first signs of bipolar? Thank you.

mindhealer :

Hello. I'm online and would be more than happy to help you. Just let me know when you're back in the chatroom and we can discuss this further. Thanks

Customer:

Good morning, would be happy to hear your response to my query. Thank you.

mindhealer :

Hello, I am online and would be happy to chat in the room in order to answer all your questions but I would need some additional information.

Hello and thank you for the chance to help in answering your question. Based on the detailed information you've kindly provided it actually does sound as though your daughter could be experiencing symptoms of bipolar. I'm specifically citing where you identified the mood swings. What I refer to is her breakdowns but even more importantly that her mood cycles that she goes into a rage. Essentially, during the adolescent state mania often presents itself as anger and rage due to not yet fully developed emotions. She's likely uncertain as to how to manage the emotional shifts and it results in her acting out in aggressive tendencies.

This would further explain her hypersensitivity to the slightest things as she has significant difficulty in regulating her emotions which would also support a bipolar diagnosis. The ADHD may very well be there but it's not accounting for the symptoms you've identified.

My suggestion is that when you take her to her pediatrician I would strongly urge you to request a referral to see a psychiatrist for a more conclusive diagnosis. I would also suggest that she be seen by a clinical psychologist who could administer certain tests in order to rule out or confirm the ADHD and autism diagnoses.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.