mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

How do I get help for my alcoholic sister

How do I get help for my alcoholic sister when her current status is denial? She is residing with my Mom in a small town in CO with few resources. She was arrested in Huntington Beach, CA at 7:15 am for drunk and disorderly conduct. Ended up passing out on a flight into Salt Lake City, Utah. Rushed to the hospital and is being treated for alcohol toxicity. She just turned 56 and has been in rehab before. A therapist told her she wasn't too bad and was so smart. Now,her river of denial has many tributaries. Also, she has no job, no insurance,etc. What can our family do to help her without being drug into the poor house?

mindhealer :

Good afternoon. I'm online and would be more than happy to help in answering your question. Let me know when you're back in the room and we can discuss this further

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

Customer:

I am ready and willing to hear what you might recommend.

mindhealer :

Would you mind very much if I asked a couple questions to gain a better understanding of what is occurring?

Customer:

No, go ahead

mindhealer :

Thank you. She's currently living with your mother now, correct?

Customer:

Yes.

mindhealer :

ok. How much does she drink on average?

Customer:

That is an unknown. She is very secretive and hides her stuff.

mindhealer :

I understand. My impression is that she's likely had numerous negative interactions with friends and family members while intoxicated. Would that be correct?

Customer:

Yes!

mindhealer :

Thats what I thought. Has an intervention with family and close friends been considered?

Customer:

Yes, the problem is that we are spread out all over the country. The current situation with my Mom is she had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago. The home health care nurse and physical therapist felt that my sister was harmful to our Mom. I flew out for 8 days and took care of Mom while Laura was "job hunting" in CA.

mindhealer :

How did she respond to the intervention in the past? Was it helpful?

Customer:

Denial.

mindhealer :

understood.

mindhealer :

Has she had any medical complications due to her drinking behavior such as DTs, Seizures, etc.?

Customer:

Our family has a history of depression on maternal side and alcoholism on the paternal side. She appears to have both issues and has the circular argument with anyone who tries to talk to or with her. In fact, you get an officious individual that is ready to hurt whoever is near her.

mindhealer :

Thank you. That was actually going to be my next question. Is she presenting as depressed or violent at present?

Customer:

She has had DTs, visual issues as well as hallucinations. During one of her hallucinations I couldn't even understand what she was attempting to tell me.

Customer:

She is both depressed and/or violent

mindhealer :

thank you. That may be the key to getting her help right there

mindhealer :

Has the police ever been called on her due to her violence?

Customer:

I'm not sure about that part due to our distance. However, I have called the police 2 times long distance because she wasn't answering her cell phone or land line. She was picked up and taken to the hospital in Huntington Beach, CA with alcohol induced diabetes, low platelets, and a vicious temper towards me. Her boyfriend at the time wasn't very forthcoming. The police were called in Mom's hometown due to her current officious behaviors. Her behavior is extreme. One moment she is sweet and the next moment she is screaming and yelling. Even her dog is afraid of her.

mindhealer :

It actually sounds like she may be exhibiting signs of bipolar disorder. At this point the only suggestion I can offer is to have an emergency petition placed on her identifying the violent behaviors which could get her hospitalized for at least 72 hours to get her clean and sober and hope that she gains enough insight during that period to consider rehab programs.

mindhealer :

I honestly feel that another expert may be able to offer you another perspective and I don't feel that I can fully answer your question to your satisfaction given the variables in play with her. Would you like me to opt out to open your question to another expert to help you?

Customer:

We need to get a placement for her but the backlog of individuals is really long. At least a month or more in the centers in CO. Her son is her executor of her will. He has been in communications with the doctor in Utah. My mom spoke with the floor nurse to explain all of this. We do feel there is bi-polar behaviors as well as other issues. I will accept any and all assistance.

mindhealer :

would you prefer that I opt out to open your question for another expert?

mindhealer :

I don't feel right charging you without a satisfactory answer. Its not ethical

Customer:

If you think there is someone else that can help that would be fine.

mindhealer :

Another expert will definitely pick it up.

Customer:

We are all hanging on by our toes.

mindhealer :

I would imagine. Ok. Will open the question again. I wish you and your family the very best

Customer:

Thank you so much.

mindhealer :

Certainly

Customer:

Anyone available?

Customer:

Hello!

mindhealer :

I sent your question to customer service to see if they can help find someone who can help you further

Customer:

Do I need to stay on line and wait?

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

Hi and yes help is available in Colorado

you can try

www.linkinghumansystems.com

they will help your sister and good luck to you.

Cathy