mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

IS THERE A GENERIC EQUIVILANT TO SEROQUEL/SEROQUEL XR WITH

IS THERE A GENERIC EQUIVILANT TO SEROQUEL/SEROQUEL XR WITH THE SAME THERAPUTIC EFFECTS AS THE SEROQUEL. I CAN NO LONGER AFFORD THIS MEDICATION AND MY HUSBAND HAS TO TAKE IT FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to help in answering your question. I did some research for you and it was found that Seroquel's patent was extended through March 2012 in the U.S. which means that there is no generic form of the medication as of yet.

Given your situation the drug manufacturer often has programs that you could benefit from and receive the medication (with a prescription) either for free or at a significantly reduced rate. You would need to demonstrate financial need of course and demonstrate that you're no longer able to afford the medication.

Astra Zeneca is the manufacturer of the medication and I would encourage you to contact them through their website. Here's a link to it.

http://www.seroquelxr.com/?source=2843&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sxr2011b&utm_term=seroquel&utm_conte nt=seroquel+xr&umedium=cpc&uadpub=google&ucreative=seroquel%20xr&ucampaign=sxr2011b&pkw=seroquel&WT.mc_id=SEROQUELXR2843&gclid=CKPLyNz3l6oCFZV25QodAGCmwA

I would suggest clicking on "Support and Resources" on the right side of the website and read further about any specific programs to help with the cost of the medicine. Another option would be to contact them and inquire about any such programs. Finally I would urge you to speak to your husband's psychiatrist about obtaining samples as Doctors get samples often from the drug reps of the medications.

My impression is that one of those approaches I suggested should help to offset the cost of the medicine.

I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question and that you found my suggestions to be of benefit to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help in answering for you. I want to be certain that I have answered your question completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I've answered your question to your satisfaction then I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer and suggestions I've provided to you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.