mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I think I am mentally Ill. I have attempted suicide twice

I think I am mentally I'll. I have attempted suicide twice and I can't let go of my ex and we have been apart for over a year and he has another girlfriend. I feel like I'm dying....what can I do.

mindhealer :

Good afternoon. I'm online and would be happy to do my best to try and help you. Let me know when you're back in the room

Customer: I am here.
mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room. Would you mind very much if I asked a couple questions to gain a better understanding of what is occurring?

Customer: Yes that's fine
mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

You mentioned having been in therapy before...are you still in therapy and on medications presently?

Customer: I just stop going to therapy because I didnt feel we were making progress. I had been going for two years and I didn't see progress. I am currently taking zoloft. I am obessed with my ex we fir
mindhealer :

May I ask what you covered while you were in therapy?

Customer: We haven't been together for over a year
Customer: Syre
Customer: Sure, we talked about cognitive therapy. A little about my child hood and meditation and breathing excersise.
mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

did you actively engage in the exercises for Cognitive Therapy?

Customer: No
mindhealer :

That could be one concern there as that's a significant part of the treatment.

mindhealer :

Did your therapist "push you" to do the homework?

Customer: Some but not much..
mindhealer :

ok. It honestly sounds that you need to see a therapist who pushes you to really engage...I would suggest that you consider looking for a new therapist that is more experienced in CBT

Customer: What is wrong with me. At times I do well then I melt. .... I have tried a few in the area but not successful. I guess I'll just keep trying.
mindhealer :

Mind if I ask a few more questions?

Customer: Sure
mindhealer :

Thank you. Do you experience what are considered to be "intrusive thoughts" that just pop into your head out of nowhere?

Customer: Yes.
mindhealer :

ok. How about reliving the experience...such as the breakup over and over in your mind....almost like a movie reel

Customer: Yes, I go ove things in my head.....I hate it. I've tried to pray meditate and keep my mind active but it is hard at times. Then I fall into a depressed state. For example I haven't been to work in two days because I can't get off the sofa. I feel like I just don't want to be here anymore.
mindhealer :

Do you have a psychiatrist?

Customer: Maybe I'm just too damaged
Customer: Yes.
mindhealer :

I wouldn't say that. Has anyone mentioned PTSD to you?

Customer: No what is that?
mindhealer :

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

mindhealer :

it's a cluster of symptoms that result from a traumatic event

mindhealer :

It sounds as though the break up left you traumatized

Customer: It did. I was in abusive relationship but I can't let go. We fight he's been arrested fir domestic abuse and recently he called the police on me because I wanted to talk to him and so I blocked his car in so he couldn't get out. I know it was stupid and not right. He told me to never contact him again so that's what I want to do now. I'm having heath
Customer: Health issues and don't want this tress anymore
mindhealer :

Ok. I have a much better idea of what is going on now. I'm pretty sure that you have PTSD and I'd like to offer a few suggestions if I may

Customer: Yes please do
mindhealer :

First and foremost speak to your psychiatrist about considering changing your medication to Paxil as that's FDA approved for PTSD and will help with the ruminating thoughts and the secondary depressive symptoms.

Customer: Ok
mindhealer :

Second is to start looking for a therapist that is a trauma specialist as not everyone can treat this type of condition and needs to be a specialist...I say that because I've gone through extensive training and am a trauma specialist myself

mindhealer :

Third I would like to suggest a workbook that concentrated specifically on PTSD and has exercises that you can do in order to get started on working toward your recovery. May I give you a link to the workbook?

Customer: Yes, please give me the link. How do I find a therapist that deals with trauma?
mindhealer :

You can get a referral from your insurance company or you can do a Google search for "Trauma therapists" in your area.

Customer: Oh ok.
mindhealer :

Has this been helpful in answering your question?

Customer: Yes, a little. I still feel lost and overwhelmed.
mindhealer :

I can appreciate that. But try to take comfort in recognizing that your now guided in a more appropriate direction

mindhealer :

Is there anything else I can help answer for you?

Customer: No not now. Thank you.
mindhealer :

You're quite welcome. You can end the chat by clicking ACCEPT button if you're satisfied with the answer. Please get the workbook as I really believe it will help you. I wish you the very best

Customer: Thank you I will buy the book.
mindhealer :

you're very welcome

mindhealer :

you can click accept if there is nothing further. Good luck to you :)