TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am in need of single parenting support, mainly emotionally.

I am in need of single parenting support, mainly emotionally. Do you know of any good single parent support groups? I live in Shawnee, Kansas. I have a 2 year old son and feel the need to connect to other single moms and find something to do with my son while going through heart break. Thank you!

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Here is a guide on how to find a good support group as well as two other groups- one you can go to near you and another online: this organization has many chapters and resources to help you.

You can also try your local community mental health facility for therapy and other resources to help you through this difficult time. They can provide low cost/ no cost therapy and help based on a sliding fee scale. The United Way also provides resources in your community that may help you find what you need.

Here are some other resources to help you. You can find these books at your local library or on

The Complete Single Mother: Reassuring Answers to Your Most Challenging Concerns by Andrea Engber and Leah Klungness

The Single Moms Little Book of Wisdom: 42 Tidbits of Wisdom To Help You Survive, Succeed and Stay Strong by Cassandra Mack

Living Well as a Single Mom: A Practical Guide to Managing Your Money, Your Kids, and Your Personal Life by Cynthia Yates

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any further,