mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

I recently moved to a new area and the community has that small

I recently moved to a new area and the community has that small town atmosphere (it's actually a cluster of small towns in a popular vacation spot). Everyone seems to know what everyone is doing. I am a family physician working at a new urgent care center and I happen to be bipolar. My bipolar disorder is well controlled on my current meds but I obviously need to keep on therapy. My concern is that if I go to a local psychiatrist the wrong people may find out I'm bipolar. I'm willing to go out of the area or pay more (I have PPO insurance) but I have to limit time off work and my work hours are M-F 8:30-5. I'm not sure how to find a new psychiatrist. My previous doctor 150 miles away did not have any recommendations. Can you advise me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good evening. I'm online and would be happy to help you with your question. Just let me know when you're back in the room

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

Customer:

I'm here

mindhealer :

May I ask...have you tried therapy referral websites when looking for a new psychiatrist?

Customer:

I couldn't find one

mindhealer :

OK. May I offer you a couple which will help you to find a new psychiatrist that is close enough to you but not in the same town. WOuld that be helpful?

Customer:

yes

mindhealer :

Here's one of the most popular ones and a number of psychiatrists and therapists use this site so that should give you a good start

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

The second most commonly used one is here http://www.find-a-therapist.com/

Customer:

ok

mindhealer :

The best approach to take would be to narrow down your choices after reading their profiles as they offer bios about themselves

mindhealer :

This limits the "trial and error" process for finding new providers

Customer:

yes, I see

mindhealer :

I hope that's helpful for you

mindhealer :

Have you called your insurance provider yet? They can give you a list of providers as well that are within a certain mile radius of where you are as well as specific one's that have weekend and after hours appointments which would be helpful

Customer:

They have a website but it brings up a lot of providers with not much info about them and nothing about their hours at all

mindhealer :

May I ask...have you shared with anyone in the clinic or practice that you have bipolar?

Customer:

I've spent lots of time looking on that website and I'm left having to call a bunch of people about their hours.

Customer:

I haven't told anyone here. It's an area where appearances matter a lot and I don't think it would go over well.

mindhealer :

the nice thing about the first one is that you can do an advanced search regarding office hours and such so that should help

mindhealer :

I can appreciate what you mean...it's so unfortunate that even though we've come this far in psychiatry stigmas still live on

Customer:

If I were in a different field, it might not matter. I think a lot of docs think if you're bipolar, you can't be trusted to practice medicine.

mindhealer :

I would suggest that you start doing a few searches as soon as possible...as a physician you're certainly well aware not to wait until you're close to running out of meds

mindhealer :

I understand that....despite it being an absurd notion

mindhealer :

as most of our brilliant scientists had mental health diagnoses.

Customer:

Also it's a brand new urgent care center where they want me to attract new clients so any possibility of negative press/gossip would be the opposite of what they want.

Customer:

I have been searching without much luck. I hope the sites you've given will help more.

mindhealer :

I believe that they will as they offer providers all around the country and are pretty inclusive

mindhealer :

If I may ask...what's the closest major area to you?

Customer:

San Jose, CA

mindhealer :

You'll be fine!!

mindhealer :

I'm certain you'll have many options as that's such a highly populated area

Customer:

It's almost an hour away though. I'm on the coast (Monterey area)

Customer:

Salinas and Santa Cruz are closer

mindhealer :

I just put in San Jose in the psychology today site I gave you and over a hundred providers came up

mindhealer :

same thing with santa cruz

Customer:

good.

mindhealer :

May I ask....is there anything further that I can help you with....or that you would like to discuss or go over?

Customer:

No, you've been very helpful and I appreciate it very much.

mindhealer :

I want to be certainn that you have all your questions answered thoroughly

Customer:

Thanks.

mindhealer :

You are indeed welcome. You can click ACCEPT button to end the chat. I wish you the very best

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your help and I wanted to let you know I already have a possible provider in Santa Cruz that I've exchanged emails with. You were so kind and helpful and I am really grateful.

You are sincerely XXXXX XXXXX'm so happy that it worked out for you! I love being able to help others and it was an honor and a privilege to help you. You seem to be such a kind woman and deserve to be happy in all you do! :)

Fadi

mindhealer, Therapist