mindhealer
mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience
6848745

can love ones live with an alcoholics

can love ones live with an alcoholics?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.

mindhealer :

Good evening. I'm online and would be happy to help you. Just let me know when you are backk in the room and we can discuss your question further

Customer:

I am here.

mindhealer :

Hello. Thank you for joining me in the room

Customer:

never done this before--i want to know more about alcoholics and can they change??

mindhealer :

Would you mind providing me with some further information regarding the individual in question please?

Customer:

He has been in and out of trouble with the court system re: his drinking. I am on disability in regards XXXXX XXXXX issues. ie-PTSD-BIPOLAR AND SEVERE ANXIETY ATTACKS. hE TRIGGERED AN ATTACK AND FRIGHTENED ME BY PUSHING HIS WAY IN THE BEDROOM. HE WAS WAY TOO DRUNK TO BE HARMFUL. so i guess it was a lot my anxiety was off the wall. but i know he has to make the decision to quit-he was sober for 7 years.

mindhealer :

Thank you.

mindhealer :

And you're absolutely right in that he has to decide to quit. My impression is that since he was sober for 7 years then I'm sure he can get sober again

mindhealer :

What happened that he started drinking again?

Customer:

If he does make this decision again--how can i support him in it. i don't want to be an enabler.

mindhealer :

The best way that you can support him is to let him know that he's confronting a difficult period and that you are there for him to help him through....but that he needs to attend AA meetings and get a sponser. Are you aware of Al-Anon?

Customer:

i found out he saw his daughter walking down the street--then called his ex-wife. 2 of his biggest triggers--i would think

mindhealer :

I would imagine that you're right

Customer:

i only have heard of al-anon- i do not know much about it.

mindhealer :

May I explain it further for you?

Customer:

please do!!!

mindhealer :

Thank you

mindhealer :

Al-Anon is meetings similar to those of AA but they are only for loved one's living with or having to deal with Alcoholics whether they be in recovery or still drinking. The purpose is for you to have a support network with others who have an understanding of what you're experiencing and can likely offer you guidance concerning situations you're confronted with. It's a wonderful program and has helped many people in similar situations such as yours

mindhealer :

You'll be able to make contacts with others and find a support system you otherwise may not have

mindhealer :

it will also help you to support your loved one and work toward not enabling him

Customer:

oh thank you. He is in jail now--maybe out next week--I am going to his status court hearing. I will try to look for an al-anon meeting before this. He plead not guilty now has changed to guilty. I want him to know how i feel--since being consider the victim--i will be able to talk. You have been very helpful.

mindhealer :

If you do a Google search for Al-Anon meetings then you will be able to do a search for meetings that are in your area

mindhealer :

May I ask do you have any further questions?

Customer:

ok google and i can be good friends--that is how i found you. how can i be able to come back to this site if i need to???

mindhealer :

All you need to do is go to JustAnswer.com and when you type in a question you can request me personally if you would like to work with me again

mindhealer :

Im very happy that I could help you. You can click ACCEPT now if you're satisfied with the answer

mindhealer :

I wish you the very best

Customer:

thank you kindly--God Bless

mindhealer, Therapist
Experience: Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience