Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

HOW WOUD YOU COMPARE CELEXA TO CYMBALTA FOR SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION

HOW WOUD YOU COMPARE CELEXA TO CYMBALTA FOR SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION AND GAD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 3 years ago.

Cymbalta is anti-anxiety and anti-depression drug. While by no means an obvious choice, Cymbalta for anxiety is gaining ground for being an effective medication for dealing with anxiety problems. Recent studies have shown that using Cymbalta for anxiety disorders is on the increase, though it is not quite as obvious a choice as cymbalta use for depression. This is likely due to the availability of more prominent medications that are on the forefront, whereas cymbalta for anxiety treatment is relatively new.

Lately many psychiatrist are using Celexa anxiety medication. So Celexa is also gaining ground in terms of commercial use and doctor-preference. Celexa anxiety treatment also works by targeting the central nervous system but the set of neurotransmitters and receptors in the brain are different. Celexa anxiety drugs have not been found to have any noticeable or significant effects on other psychological disorders, though research is still being conducted in this regard. Celexa anxiety prescriptions are really no more frequent than other potential anxiety treatments, though there are many patient testimonials that attest to the efficacy of celexa anxiety pills.

Talk to your psychiatrist about your own treatment. He will have to reduce the Cymbolta and start the Celexa slowly so you will avoid withdrawls.

So the answer to you question is that I see both medications used for anxiety and depresssion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so are you saying that while cymbalta is used for bot anxiety and depression, celexa is used only for anxiety? Also I w uld like a more detailed reply to the way these two drugs work.

Thanks for letting me know my answer was not clear. Celexa is approved for depression and anxiety. I have many clients with depression and Anxiety who are taking this medication with great success. Everyone's body is chemically different so there is no guaranties that this would work as well for you. Here is how celexa works. It is part of a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. The medication acts on a specific chemical within the brain known as serotonin, one of several chemicals used to send messages from one nerve cell to another. As a message travels down a nerve, it causes the end of the cell to release serotonin. The serotonin enters the gap between the first nerve cell and the one next to it. When enough serotonin reaches the second nerve cell, it activates receptors on the cell and the message continues on its way. The first cell then quickly absorbs any serotonin that remains in the gap between cells. This is called "reuptake." Normally, this process works without any problems. When the levels of serotonin become unbalanced, however, it can cause a variety of conditions, including depression. Celexa works by blocking the re uptake of serotonin so more remains in the space between the brain's nerve cells. This gives the serotonin a better chance of activating the receptors on the next nerve cell.

Cymbalta capsules contain the active ingredient duloxetine hydrochloride, which is a type of antidepressant known as a serotonin and noradrenaline inhibitor. This type of medicine acts on nerve cells in the brain.

In the brain there are numerous different chemical compounds called neurotransmitters. These act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. Serotonin and noradrenaline are two such neurotransmitters and have various functions that we know of.

When serotonin and noradrenaline are released from nerve cells in the brain they act to lighten mood. When they are reabsorbed into the nerve cells, they no longer have an effect on mood. It is thought that when depression occurs, there may be a decreased amount of serotonin and noradrenaline released from nerve cells in the brain.

Duloxetine works by preventing serotonin and noradrenaline from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. This helps prolong the mood lightening effect of any released serotonin and noradrenaline. In this way, duloxetine helps relieve depression.

Duloxetine may also be used in the treatment of generalised anxiety disorder.

It may take between two to four weeks for the benefits of this medicine to appear, so it is very important that you keep taking it, even if it doesn't seem to make much difference at first. If you feel your depression or anxiety has got worse, or if you have any distressing thoughts or feelings in these first few weeks, then you should talk to your doctor.

This medicine is also used to treat nerve pain in the feet, legs or hands that is due to nerve damage caused by poorly controlled diabetes. Duloxetine is thought to enhance the nerve signals within the central nervous system that naturally inhibit pain.

So us you see the medications are a bit different from one another because Cymbalto works in the noradrenaline inhibitor that increases noraphrenaline in addition to serotonin.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is noraderenaline also known as norepanephrine? I heard that Cymbalta is also a norepanephrine re-uptake inhibitor.

yes they are the same. Norepinephrine, also known as noradrenaline, is a neurotransmitter found in the sympathetic nervous system.

The sympathetic nervous system stimulates the heart, blood vessels, sweat glands, the large internal organs, and the adrenal medulla in the brain.

Like dopamine, norepinephrine has a stimulating effect, fosters alertness, and plays an important regulatory role in long-term memory and learning. It also protects endorphins from being broken down prematurely.

Optimal levels of this transmitter can stimulate a sense of wellbeing or even create a euphoric effect in stressful situations . . .

Yet excess norepinephrine can fuel the physiological expressions of fear and anxiety, as may be the case for people who suffer from anxiety disorders.

The amino acid tyrosine, found in high concentrations in cheese, is converted by specific reactions into at least two neurotransmitters . . . norepinephrine and dopamine.

Norepinephrine is produced from dopamine, with the help of the amino acids phenylalanine, lysine, and methionine. Vitamins C and B-6, magnesium, and manganese are important cofactors.

Norepinephrine Functions in:

• Arousal, energy, drive
  • Stimulation
  • Fight or Flight

Norepinephrine Deficiencies result in:

• Lack of energy
  • Lack of motivation
  • First "state" called depression

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field